Choppy video & sound & lockups

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyJ

I have a few issues with video/soud and I'm guessing they're related so I thought I'd put them all in the one post.

1. Elder Srolls IV: Oblivion:
The opening cutscene is very strange, it starts off choppy and then then it sort of goes in squares with different squares being at different parts of the movie, like large squares of the screen stop playing the movie and then try to catch up again but the sound is absolutely fine - it plays at the correct speed.

2. Rise & Fall: Civilisations at War
The cut scenes are slightly jerky - like its running at 15-20 fps but its a pre-rendered movie (as far as I can tell) and the sound is choppy so you cant hear most of the dialogue. My system anihilates the system requirements so I cant understand the problem - but as I said I think its all related

3. Embedded Media player
On certain sites that have embedded media players (http://www.football365.com - last time I checked) - when I visit them my CPU usage goes up to 100% until I can close my browser down - the same thing happened with the 'sounds best on soundblaster' demo CD I got with my sound card. But I can play stuff in windows media player normally and I can go on sites like youtube and google video without any problems.

I just cant fathom the problem here. With 1 & 3 I've had this problem with 2 separate graphics cards and 2 fresh windows installs.

I've attached my dxdiag file if that will help.

Hi,

Probably a dumb question... Do you have the latest video & audio drivers? Your chipset drivers?

Also, try rolling back the Nvidia drivers, for example, to the 80 series. That can sometimes help.

Regards :wave:

When did those 3 specific problems start to occur? Did you make any system changes or do anything at all? Think back and let us know..Or give us more info to when the problems started to occur otherwise try what wolfram posted! it might do the trick! update all your drivers. sound+video+mobo AGP drivers too!

From my own personal experiences trial and error usually narrows down the problem.

I've tried old drivers and new drivers, my mobo drivers are up-to-date (all of them)
I first noticed the embedded windows media player issue in january but then again yesterday when I went to football365.com - it just says 'connecting to media' then my whole system slowly locks up until I can shut down the browser

Oblivion I notice in april and tried loads of stuff to fix it with no luck and as I've said I've reinstalled my os since then

The rise & fall problem, yesterday - just got the game over the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back