Chrome 24 fixes two dozen bugs, boosts speed, adds MathML support

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The latest version of Google’s Chrome browser is now available for download. Chrome 24, available for Windows, Mac and Linux, offers two dozen security fixes as well as a number of speed improvements and new features like MathML support.

Users will likely notice that the browser is a good bit faster than previous revisions. According to TNW, Google’s Octane JavaScript test indicates Chrome 24 is the fastest version yet. When the beta launched late last year, the search giant touted the fact that the release was 26 percent faster than it was a year ago; it’s even faster now.

Google also now includes the ability to search bookmarks using their title. Matching bookmarks will be shown in the autocomplete suggestions pop-down list using prefixes. MathML, or Math markup language, makes it easier for the browser to display mathematical equations. This of course won’t appeal to everyone but we’re sure that there are at least some number crunchers out there that will appreciate the addition (no pun intended).

Otherwise, the update by and large takes care of a number of security fixes. Specifically, there were 11 fixes rated as High, eight deemed as Medium and five that were considered Low risks.

Three of the security fixes came as part of Google’s bounty program that awards individuals for finding security holes in software. In total, Google paid out two rewards of $1,000 and one for $4,000 – all deemed High level threats.

Permalink to story.

I don't see how they competition can survive amidst of all this... an outstanding product.

It is to strange how ms drop the ball with the explorer, they had years of experience, huge company,, it is important for them, it is made for their own SO, etc. The explorer is actually the slower of the web browsers and in the past they wait for people starting switching to firefox before making any important improvement to their browser.

It is to strange how ms drop the ball with the explorer, they had years of experience, huge company,, it is important for them, it is made for their own SO, etc. The explorer is actually the slower of the web browsers and in the past they wait for people starting switching to firefox before making any important improvement to their browser.

True, but it's not very profitable to spend a lot of time and money working on a product you're going to give away for free. Although, they could use it to guide people toward Bing, which can make money via ads. it is a good question...

It's definitely snappier than the last version, but the freezing tabs issue has returned on my system. The fix used to be to disable the "PepperFlash" plugin, but that is already down. Only way I can get locked up tabs to respond again is to pop them in and out of maximized mode. Weird behavior, but it occurs with irritating regularity when major Chrome updates hit, then is patched soon after. You would think that they could, oh I don't know, maybe catch a recurring known entity bug BEFORE major updates? Other than that, I still love me some Chrome...

I tried Firefox 18, nice GUI, and it's fast but only initially, because the time it fires up it starts eating up memory, then the lag starts. I would like to be able to go back to Firefox, mostly because of all the extensions, but overall Chrome's become my main browser. FF's memory leaks seem to still be there.

I too love Google Chrome but am tired of running my SAS scans & finding these
.doubleclick.net [ C:\USERS\THOMAS PAINE\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
.invitemedia.com [ C:\USERS\THOMAS PAINE\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
.invitemedia.com [ C:\USERS\THOMAS PAINE\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]

X many many more. I do not allow 3rd party cookies. Not to mention, disabling java I'm forced to go to settings > Show Advanced settings>Click content settings & paste the URLhttp://www.kirotv.com/s/news/live/ into the manage exceptions area of java script.
Thats why I still say Firefox & SeaMonkey are by far better. To each their own, I guess.:)

Are you running Windows? If you are you can install "Hostsman", it's a hosts file manager, DL it from Majorgeeks, always safe.

http://majorgeeks.com/HostsMan_d4592.html

Additionally, you can, probably should install DoNotTrackMe, Chrome extension, any platform, it'll keep tracking and spying cookies and baddies from loading.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/donottrackme/epanfjkfahimkgomnigadpkobaefekcd?hl=en
If you're talking to me, W7 Home Premium. Does Major Geeks give easy to follow step by step guides on how to?
I do have Do Not Track Me installed.
Here is a previous thread I had which is why I dumped it https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-google-chrome.182435/

If you're talking to me, W7 Home Premium. Does Major Geeks give easy to follow step by step guides on how to?
I do have Do Not Track Me installed.
Here is a previous thread I had which is why I dumped it https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-google-chrome.182435/

Yes, I was talking to you. Now, Majorgeeks does not provide instructions, Majorgeeks is a repository, they have good stuff, good rograms and all, and you can trust Majorgeeks, it's one of my favorite sites to get software from. Now, like I said... no instructions, but you really don't need them, just download Hostsman and install it, then run the app, and choose update the hosts file, don't click on anything else on the application window, as the default settings are recommended.

The DoNotTrackMe extension, just install it, and you shouldn't see them nasty tracking cookies again next time you run a scan.

Yes, I was talking to you. Now, Majorgeeks does not provide instructions, Majorgeeks is a repository, they have good stuff, good rograms and all, and you can trust Majorgeeks, it's one of my favorite sites to get software from. Now, like I said... no instructions, but you really don't need them, just download Hostsman and install it, then run the app, and choose update the hosts file, don't click on anything else on the application window, as the default settings are recommended.

The DoNotTrackMe extension, just install it, and you shouldn't see them nasty tracking cookies again next time you run a scan.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Ok, its a zip file. Did I get the wrong one or not?

"Chrome 24 fixes two dozen bugs"
Was this intended to be ironic, or perhaps symbolic on Google's part?

I guess it's "six of one, or half a dozen of the other", if it was.....(or wasn't). :D

Besides, I thought Chrome didn't have any bugs.....

I used to be an avid firefox user, when chrome came out I laughed and thought it would never be good as firefox, this was a while ago when firefox was at a much lower version/revision. My opinion has now changed, firefox is so bloated and slow, even on a good pc, chrome works well on all the computers I have even old ones with poor cpu's. I see no benefit to using it anymore, I guess customization could be one example, but even then there is nothing in firefox that I really want in chrome. It's a shame really, I used to think it was the best browser out there. :(

^ Same here, FF does feel more and more bloated with every new release, whereas Chrome feel lean, as if it's got no more code than what it needs in it. Now, if it comes to lightness, then Midori is the leanest and most responsive browser I've seen, Midori is also based on WebKit (I think), so it shares some code with Chrome, but the Midori devs, like a good butcher with a good knife, trim all the fat off of it. Chrome's got a great selection of extensions too, nothing to envy Firefox in that department.

Firefox is hosed by virtue of Google's ridiculous & bizarre version numbering system. Firefox is also at Google's mercy for money to continue its development. Explained in human behavioral terms, the relationship between Google and Mozilla is at once incestuous and homicidal, with Google being the aggressor.

At the end of the day, I'm willing to accept a little bit of a performance hit, to not have that Google spyware s*** on my PC, period.

Does anybody think Google is going to allow you to kill its own cookies? Because that's just plain naive.

Learninmypc, it's a good thing to think about online security, but your take seems a tad extreme. Yes, it's good you turned Java off, I don't even install Java in my machine. All tracking technologies sort of work the same way regardless of what browser you use. I think however that Chrome does a better job at sandboxing and keeping things separate, Chrome comes with its own Flash plugin, which for me is a big plus, because I really hate Adobe's Falsh installer. Now, if a plugin, whatever it may be, crashes in Chrome it's an entirely separate process that will not bring your session down, etc.. etc.. My point is that this focus on security may be a bit excessive, and it's preventing you from using a browser that is, again... IMHO, technologically superior, and ergonomically superior.

Back