TechSpot

Chrome 28 delivers rich notifications for apps, extensions on Windows

By Shawn Knight
Jul 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Google recently released version 28 of Chrome for Windows as an automatic update which includes a couple of noteworthy features in addition to bug fixes. It’s the first version of the browser that ships with Google’s new rendering engine called...

Read more

2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

It just keeps getting better.

It does feels faster, especially in 'heavy' websites like The Verge.

3. How exactly are notifications being delivered even if the app isn't running?

Is there some other program running in the background after Chrome shuts down that handles notifications?

If so, how does a user shut down that background program?

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

I dont notice any difference.

5. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

I did. I usually found Chrome didn't scroll as fast as Firefox when I went to The Verge. I then "tested" this by loading the page and as soon as anything is rendered I immediately began to scroll down.

I noticed the browser doesn't wait for the page to be completely drawn now; perhaps is not even this, maybe the case is that its drawing much faster giving me such an illusion. I know it's not an empirical test, but that's what I saw.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,423   +822

Me either.

7. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Chrome 27 brought a 5% improvement, but nothing was mentioned about 28. If I am not mistaken, they are beginning to rollout the Blink engine.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.