Chrome 32 arrives with noisy tab indicators, Chrome OS-like Metro UI

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Google announced Tuesday the release of Chrome 32 for Windows, Linux and Mac. It's one of the biggest updates to the browser in recent times. Apart from security fixes, and stability and performance updates, the new version brings along many new and useful features including tab indicators for sound and video, a new look for Windows 8 Metro mode, improved malware blocking, the supervised users feature, and more.

Chrome 32 features new tab indicators for sound, webcam, and casting. If a tab is making a noise, the browser will now put a speaker icon in the tab. Similarly, it will put a red recording icon when a tab is using your webcam, and a blue TV icon when you're sending a tab to your Chromecast.

chrome win8 metro

Another prominent feature is the browser's new look in the Windows 8 Metro mode. When running in this mode, the browser now looks like Google's browser-based Chrome OS. You can manage multiple windows and get to your favorite Chrome app with an integrated launcher.

chrome win8 metro

The beta "supervised users" feature will allow parents to keep tabs on their kid's internet surfing activities. It lets you monitor browsing history, block specific sites, and approve which sites the user can see, all through chrome.com/manage. The stable release also features an improved malware detector which automatically blocks known malicious files.

You can grab the latest release through the browser's built-in updater, or chose your operating system to download: Chrome for Windows, Mac or Linux.

Permalink to story.

So Google hacks into Windows 8, by integrating Chrome OS into Metro :)

Will Microsoft add Metro app to Chrome OS in response? :) This is an interesting idea, but who would want to see Metro UI, say, on Linux or Mac OS? Same goes vice-versa.

I have not upgraded since 21 or 22. They no longer know what they are doing when it comes to what I want so to heck with them

FFS, they screwed up the only great gestures extension Chrome has, Pig Toolbox. Chrome is a case of "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is" these days. I had to change stuff in "flags" with almost every version, cause they keep testing stuff that's not to anybody's liking.

I haven't noticed anything different about it so far but I never noticed any change in previous versions either. It's by far the best browser I've ever used and I've tried 'em all.

Well, at least if MS don't want to make the metroui apps user friendly for the desktop user some else can.

I have not upgraded since 21 or 22. They no longer know what they are doing when it comes to what I want so to heck with them

That might be so, but you still need to fix holes in the code Version 32.0.1700.76 m

I haven't noticed anything different about it so far but I never noticed any change in previous versions either. It's by far the best browser I've ever used and I've tried 'em all.

For me it's the best browser, but only because it's made the other browsers bad. The popularity of Chrome prompted Firefox to adopt the same rapid release schedule as Chrome and with each iteration, Firefox has slowly been morphing into a poor Chrome clone. Opera likewise even adopted the same engine as Chrome at the cost of virtually all of the features that set Opera apart. Opera used to be my favorite by a mile but right now it's just sad.

It's version 23 the one you want if you still want to be able to add extensions easily from Chrome's web store. I am with you though.

I want performance, not features.

The Linux version is quite all right, though. I hope they don't **** that up as well.

Back