Chrome used more than Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer combined

Scorpus

Staff member

chrome firefox opera internet explorer google browser ie web browser shareaholic

Google Chrome is absolutely dominating the web browser market, at least according to social analytics firm Shareaholic, which yesterday released usage statistics for all browsers worldwide.

The data, which covers the 2013 calendar year up until now, reveals Chrome (34.68%) is used more than Firefox (16.60%), Opera (2.02%) and Internet Explorer (15.62%) combined. Adding the stock Android browser (7.36%) into the mix and Google commands over 42% of all browser usage, second to Apple with just 21% after combining Safari (16.15%) and Safari in-app browser (4.86%) use.

It's also worth noting that the top four browsers - Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer (in that order) - are used by over 80% of the market. This might not be the case in the future though, with Internet Explorer and Firefox on the decline, while Chrome and the stock Android browser continue to climb.

As The Next Web notes, Shareaholic's data differs to that collected by popular statistics firm Net Applications in a number of ways, which can explain why Net Applications consistently ranks Internet Explorer as the most used browser.

Shareaholic tracked 250 million users over 200,000 websites, collecting and combining pageview data for both mobile and desktop browsers. Net Applications simply tracks desktop unique users, rather than pageviews, which results in more market share for more widespread, but less frequently used browsers such as IE.

Permalink to story.

That does not surprise me, people use what is available. And Google Chrome being packaged in with just about everything you install, it is hard not to have Google Chrome available. And we all know the last browser installed is the one that wants to take control and be the default browser. Hell, I know several people who didn't even know they were using Google Chrome. My own father didn't even know Google Chrome had been installed on his PC. When his granddaughter install Skype, guess what Google Chrome wasn't unchecked. There will be a crowd that follows any application, but these ratings are no where near an indication of following crowds.

I will forever more hate Google for the headaches they have caused me in trying to keep their **** off my PC, regardless of how great or poor their application is.

Obviously when Chrome is advertised on the most popular search engine and bundled with all the most popular software. It is like a virus. I wish people would at least use the Open Sourced version Chromium (which Chrome is based off of, minus the Google spyware). I'll stick with my Firefox, an Open Source browser by a trustworthy company with much more control over your browser.

I'm glad that at least a good browser is taking the top spot. I'll always be an Opera girl, but Chrome is also a good option.

I agree with the above comments, it seems Google has done a (great?) job of bundling Chrome wherever possible to make it ubiquitous and a pretty obvious install for the average Joe. That said, I also think it's the better browser when compared against Firefox and IE.

Firefox used to have the upper hand a few years back due to the number of add-ons and customizations available, but Chrome has caught up or surpassed it by now. Firefox also got some weird slowdowns when it switched to rapid updates, which made me drop it at one point. Lately I see both Firefox and Chrome working very similarly, even on the UI department, though Chrome tends to feel more lightweight and responsive. As for IE, despite efforts, still feels odd and cumbersome to use for more than 5 minutes.

Opera before they went with the Chrome engine..
You do know that you can still use regular old Opera, right? And that it's still being supported and updated?
Still using the old Opera, still love the interface, mouse gestures and the browser in general. If they kill the old one I may jump ship to Chrome. Opera is just what I'm used to, I even bought it back when you had a free ad supported version. I guess many people feel similarly about IE as it's what they are used to.

As far as I know firefox was on the rise lately because it had better memory management and multitab browsing. While I like chrome in some situations (sometimes streaming videos works a bit better) I'm sticking with firefox for my normal web browsing because of the way I manage my websites with it. Chrome is still lagging in the settings (I just can't get used to the chrome settings "tab") and addons department for me (though it does have some good addons too which are not present in firefox, but most are better on firefox for what I do; not sure about the numbers though).
I'm happy to announce that for the past 2-3 versions of both browsers, they never crashed when they shouldn't have.

Forget Firefox, the entire browser needs re-write from scratch. It can't keep up anymore, because it's a mess, and no matter how they now try, it's in vain. Meanwhile with other projects like Firefox OS, B2G and whatnot, the resources for Fx are less than they should.

The game will be between Chrome and IE. If MS start giving us some poweruser-friendly features, like a solid blocklist, ability for mouse gestures and such, IE can be on top in no time. The best Hardware Acceleration, the best Smooth Scrolling, the best rendering generally and most efficient mechanisms. IE11 is a truly modern, well written browser. The most efficient, CPU & HDD friendly browser overall. After they fix some bugs here and there, of course.

Not to mention they broke the font rendering on Win 8/8.1 even on desktop IE. On the other hand, Chrome is still using GDI like we're in XP Era. They have open bug for Directwrite support since 2009...

Obviously when Chrome is advertised on the most popular search engine and bundled with all the most popular software. It is like a virus. I wish people would at least use the Open Sourced version Chromium (which Chrome is based off of, minus the Google spyware). I'll stick with my Firefox, an Open Source browser by a trustworthy company with much more control over your browser.

Do you ever see a nice, stable version of Chromium? No, not even beta. Only the very latest Dev. Google is smarter than you think. Chromium is literally non-existant. All people are being driven onto Chrome.

It used to be many websites would only work with ie. Now since ie 8 and later, many websites don't work with ie. Ironic? I don't know how all these people use chrome since lots of websites like att.com, canon.com, etc. still use activex. Many of these people never heard of other browsers, so do they surf only 80% of the web? How do they use tablets on these major websites? Always a lot of unknowns in life.

I dont buy this for a second. They are simply counting ALL of the hidden installs from random applications. Almost anything you install from a Windows .exe file today tries to install Chrome. Avast does it, CCleaner does it, and about 1000 more.

Google Chrome is the best browser IMO. Been using it since it was first announced. The only thing that annoys me is that the basic design has not changed one bit since version 6. I get that you shouldnt change what isnt broken, but I feel like it needs a refreshed look.

I get that you shouldnt change what isnt broken, but I feel like it needs a refreshed look.
Seriously how many different ways can you get a frame with only a few buttons and page tabs to look? I guess I was sadly mistaken in thinking that is what themes were for. But yet there are thousands of themes available, and we still feel the need for something different. And since all of Opera's themes all look the same in this respect, I am totally confused.

Seriously how many different ways can you get a frame with only a few buttons and page tabs to look? I guess I was sadly mistaken in thinking that is what themes were for. But yet there are thousands of themes available, and we still feel the need for something different. And since all of Opera's themes all look the same in this respect, I am totally confused.

True.

Google Chrome has been introduced by an aggressive but stealthy campaign. Google is part of the problem not the solution, doesn't anyone see this? They are desperate to get it on your computer so that they can spy on you and control your searches!

Stop using Google! the Internet was designed to be a free space with information for all not an corporate driven advertising consumerism nightmare

Not surprised with it being shoehorned into every other installation these days. I never use it though. Firefox, Opera, IE instead.

Back