"CID" Popup windows in Internet Explorer 6

By mrkrandall
Apr 16, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everytime I fire up Internet explorer I get these ad popups that start with CID: ..... (... being whatever the place they want me to go buy something is, eg. diet.com)
    I was stupid and ran/loaded something that looks to have started this "CID" popup window in Internet Explorer 6. I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of it, but no luck. Does anyone know where the file is or what I need to find and remove it??
    I have run XoftSpyXE, Ad-Aware 6.0, and Macafee. I disabled all browser managed add-ons, still nothing.
    I'm pretty sure it installed through Limewire.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. ChrisBr

ChrisBr Newcomer, in training

You have a malware. Go to Start-Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs. Try to look for "Cid Help" and remove it.
    This can solve your problem.
  3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of mrkrandall only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.
  4. mrkrandall

mrkrandall Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thank You !!!

Thank You ChrisBr !!! I don't know why I didn't see it there before! It worked and I have my browser and processor cycles back!! You saved me a lot of frustration !! CID is EVIL !!!
  5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

You should still post a HJT log, then I can check to see if it`s clean.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of mrkrandall only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.
  6. cheeto865

cheeto865 Newcomer, in training

ok, i did this (cant believe i overlooked it) and when i click "remove", a strange box comes up. strange as in the way it appeared; sort of flashed colors, then fully appeared. the prompt says to enter the numbers in the picture to ensure that i am a human and not a computer.
    i didnt enter it of course, because im afraid it may trigger something more serious.

anyone know if its ok to go through with it?
  7. mjr_river

mjr_river Newcomer, in training

crandall that you? Ring here. same problem!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.