Cisco AP350 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and thank you for reading. I was given a used Cisco AP350 and would like to set it up as a repeater instead of an access point. Not knowing much about this AP, I googled and found the PDF on Cisco's webpage and it says to find the IP address of the AP and enter it into a browser.

To find the IP, I go into Window's wireless network screen, and double click on the AP's wireless network. which is named "whiskey." It takes it 1-2 minutes to make this change and when it is completed it shows it as "Limited or no connectivity." If I click on limited or no connectivity it brings up the status screen and i can go to properties to find it's IP 169.254.xx.208.

Now, when I enter that into the browser I get:
"The connection was refused when attempting to connect to IP address"

So I googled for another 2 hours and still couldnt get anywhere, and I realize it has a serial cable plugin on it. I grab my serial cable and attempt to connect to it through Hyperterminal on com1 and on com3. Both of these show connected, but I cannot actually do anything.

Any tips or ideas?

PS, I am somewhat new to wireless and this is the setup I am working towards: WRT54G with one antenna removed and the other going to -> Yagi -> 1000 foot unobstructed view -> receiving Yagi -> Cisco AP350 bridge -> multiple computers. I am getting a very low signal, with only the 1 yagi connected and sending the connection through a few walls, but it does go lose signal occasionally.

To find the AP's IP, you should read the manual and try the default :)

If that doesn't work, do a factory reset.

It takes more than a serial cable to get a console. You have to set the serial port parameters to match the ones preferred by the AP. Read the friendly manual again :)

Thanks Nodsu, I figured out out the IP problem :blush:. However, when I try to reach the setup page via IE, I still get connection refused.

So I went back to the drawing board and found the parameters to make HyperTerminal connect and looked around the text menus, unsuccessfully, for a couple hours. Navigating this is a nightmare so far, any pointers on what I am doing wrong with the browser? By the way, I do not have the manual. :(

The AP may be configured to accept connections from certain IP addresses or you may have to use HTTPS to connect to the AP. (Are you sure it even has web-based configuration?)

I'm sure you can find documentation on the Cisco webpage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back