TechSpot

Clarifying Athlon 64 pin issue

By Julio Franco
Aug 1, 2003
  1. To further clarify rumours and statements made before (and in response to my own post yesterday), AMDZone has the official word from AMD regarding Athlon 64 pin count:

There will be a 754, 939, as well as a 940-pin version of the Athlon 64. The 754-pin Athlon 64 will be for the budget systems. The 940-pin Athlon 64 will be the variety at launch. The extra one pin is required to work on the 6-layer Opteron motherboards. The 939-pin Athlon 64’s aren’t ready for shipping yet so they will be out a little later on. As for the Opteron situation, that little extra one pin is required for SMP support due to the necessary HyperTransport links.

2. TS | Crazyace

TS | Crazyace TS Rookie Posts: 275

I must say, this pin thing sounds ridiculous

3. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,929   +186

Yea, just as ridiculous as Intels different pin designs...

4. eddy05

eddy05 TS Rookie Posts: 152

Shouldn't it be 940-pins instead? A typo?

By the way how will single and dual channel affects performance... I'm keen on getting the A64 for my next upgrade but some facts are still unclear..

5. TS | Crazyace

TS | Crazyace TS Rookie Posts: 275

Geez, it wasn't a shot at AMD dilly. It's much to easy to take shots at AMD, now isn't it?

6. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,929   +186

I was just being Ironic Ace ;-)

Yes, that's a typo...

Single and dual channel should only be required for multi processor systems, to allow them to scale better...

I'm really quite confused by all this also...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.