Clarifying Athlon 64 pin issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
To further clarify rumours and statements made before (and in response to my own post yesterday), AMDZone has the official word from AMD regarding Athlon 64 pin count:

There will be a 754, 939, as well as a 940-pin version of the Athlon 64. The 754-pin Athlon 64 will be for the budget systems. The 940-pin Athlon 64 will be the variety at launch. The extra one pin is required to work on the 6-layer Opteron motherboards. The 939-pin Athlon 64’s aren’t ready for shipping yet so they will be out a little later on. As for the Opteron situation, that little extra one pin is required for SMP support due to the necessary HyperTransport links.

There will be a 754, 939, as well as a 949-pin version of the Athlon 64.

Shouldn't it be 940-pins instead? A typo?

By the way how will single and dual channel affects performance... I'm keen on getting the A64 for my next upgrade but some facts are still unclear..

I was just being Ironic Ace ;-)

Shouldn't it be 940-pins instead? A typo?

By the way how will single and dual channel affects performance... I'm keen on getting the A64 for my next upgrade but some facts are still unclear..
Yes, that's a typo...

Single and dual channel should only be required for multi processor systems, to allow them to scale better...

I'm really quite confused by all this also...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back