TechSpot

Classic Windows and Mac operating systems running in the browser

By Justin Kahn
Jan 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft and Apple operating systems have been around for about 30 years now, and for many of us, just the sight of the UI can provoke a strong sense of nostalgia. To do this, most people get their hands on...

Read more

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
  2. I've played around with the MacOS system 7 version (for old time's sake), and if it makes one thing clear, it's that Javascript is not very performant. I used to run a System 7 emulator (or perhaps it was System 8) on a G3 that ran no faster than 200MHz, and it was much more responsive than this browser-based version; it was so fast that quite a few games became unplayable. Mozilla claims their asm.js approaches native speed, but if a 2.5GHz i7 cannot get near a 200MHz G3, then that claim is to be taken with a grain of salt.

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

So I guess hoping to play Shufflepuck on it is out of the question..

4. MikeAcker

MikeAcker TS Enthusiast Posts: 30

Users should remember: Windows was originally a SHELL program for MS/DOS.
    it should have stayed that way: security was not addressed until XP SP/2 in August of 2004. UAC was not added until Vista -- and remains crippled today.

5. This is a big lie. Not true. Go to the web site and try to click on a sort cut on the desk top lets say IE 4.5. Does not open therefore it is not real. It is just a web page and a gag. I would believe if it had full functionality. What do you think we are 4 year olds?

6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +107

GeoWorks Pro was fun though, too bad that didn't live too long..