Clean install w2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

3DD

I have partitions on a 60gb h/d.

I would like to clean install w2k.

I have win98 on one partition with my files and apps.....can i install w2k on another partition and then copy over files and apps onto the w2k partition?

Then format the win98 partition.
Many thanks.

its probably not the best idea to do so. certainly for the files, yes, but when applications are installed they write data to the registry, which is necessary for the proper operation and uninstallation of the application. its best to copy the files to a third partition (for data only) and then so a clean install of w2k on another partition, then reinstall all software under w2k to that w2k partition. the data partition thing is debateable but simply copying files over from one windows installation to another is just silly.

Ok thanks....if my win98 is on c:

after i do as u suggest and format c:

could i just rename the data partition c: and leave the w2k alone on its own partition d:

Which i spose allows me to reformat w2k partition d: periodically when needed and re-install apps and progs.?

if you are planning on loosing the c: drive then you would be better to install windows 2000 there.

if you want to turn it into a data partition for sure (i.e. c: ) tell me... its more complex than just formatting, you have to save the boot environment as well.

prehaps before you do anything, you can post here with exactly what it is that you want to do. then I will guide you through it the way I would do it.

yeah, why would you want to have d: as your active partition and merely use c: for data? for the sake of it and to swiftly return to normality you could just install Win2k on c: and use d: for your appz etc... unless of course you want to actually put Win98 back on c: and dual boot ?

Phantasm66 iIalready have these partitions:-

c:\ 10gb win 98 apps, progs, files
d:\ 10gb Bob game
e:\ 10gb games
f:\ 10gb music\photo
g:\ 4.2gb personal data
h:\ 4.2gb
I:\ 4.2gb
j:\ 4.2gb

total 56.8gb
This is on a peer/peer this being master.

Slave having 2 partitions
c:\ 2gb
d:\ 2gb

I am not sure i have partitioned correctly?

However i want to clean install w2k on c:\

1) Is it best to have this on c:\ on its own or with apps and progs files also.?
2) I also have windows saying i have other os on my system even though i have uninstalled them w2k and xp, is this because of the boot ini files?

Many thanks

:)

Yes its because of extra lines in the Boot.ini file..all you need to do is erase the ones that you no longer need.....

Yes, that's where the OS' are listed... You can remove any you don't want anymore, or add new if that's your wish :)

It should be found by, clicking on your C: drive or whatever drive you have your OS on...and look down toward the bottom of the list of files...and there should be the boot.ini...its just labeled boot:grinthumb just double click on it..erase what isnt needed and bam its done:grinthumb

Vassil3437.................this sounds stupid but i can't see it, i am using NTFS ON W2K

You need to go to " My Computer" then to "Tools" then "Folder Options" then to "View". Under advanced settings look for "Show hidden files and folders". This will allow you to sww the "boot.ini" file. The attributes for this are usually "read only" so you might need to change this before any editing can be done.

Good Luck

Dan

I apologize 3DD I should have given better instructions...:eek: ...I hope what dapper said helped you out:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back