Cleaning fluid on Laptop Keyboard sent it crazy

Hi,
I'm new here but I urgently need some help. I recently tried to (stupidly)clean my laptop with antibacterial cleaning fluid, but once it touched the keyboard my laptop sorta turned off and wouldn't work, showing a black screen with the specs of the laptop, a HP Pavilion. I then managed to get back onto the sign in, but the keyboard was not working at all, so I just used the mousepad. After about 30 minutes of using my laptop mousepad, I left the laptop for a little while and when I came back it had turned off. when I turned it on again, I got to the sign In page (where you input your password to get onto your account) but it was almost as if all the keys were being pressed down at once, and so therefore it would not let me sign in because I physically couldn't. every time I tried to delete the password that the keyboard was putting in, it would just input the same thing in again, like the keys were all being pressed down. Either its a poltergeist that doesn't like me, or my laptop is fu****! I took out the battery over night and left it. The laptop screen seems fine, but the keyboard doesn't work. I have tried connecting a wired keyboard in, and a mouse, but no such luck!. I really need help because all my important documents are on there, including my A level coursework that I DONT HAVE BACKED UP. please help
thanks

Could have been worse (Coca Cola or a Mocha Chocolate) - what is chemistry of this stuff you poured on keyboard? If distilled water/alcohol, it may just dry out. Turn it OFF. Remove AC and battery (put dry towel on keyboard before closing clamshell). Dry it off as much as you can. Turn upside down and gently shake. If chemistry is not corrosive, leave it to dry for 24 hours.

Reassess then. In meanwhile, review laptop cleaning and laptop keyboard replacement (hopefully not required) for your model on YouTube.

Could have been worse (Coca Cola or a Mocha Chocolate) - what is chemistry of this stuff you poured on keyboard? If distilled water/alcohol, it may just dry out. Turn it OFF. Remove AC and battery (put dry towel on keyboard before closing clamshell). Dry it off as much as you can. Turn upside down and gently shake. If chemistry is not corrosive, leave it to dry for 24 hours.

Reassess then. In meanwhile, review laptop cleaning and laptop keyboard replacement (hopefully not required) for your model on YouTube.

Cheers Mate for the quick reply,
The cleaner is Dettol power and pure advance, It doesn't say much about the ingredients, except that it contains Hydrogen peroxide and is an oxygen based bleaching agent. BY the way, for AC, do you mean the external charger?

Cheers Mate for the quick reply,
The cleaner is Dettol power and pure advance, It doesn't say much about the ingredients, except that it contains Hydrogen peroxide and is an oxygen based bleaching agent. BY the way, for AC, do you mean the external charger?
AC = charger connected to AC

Peroxide is a strong oxidizer, so some parts may be damaged, but difficult to say how to repair - so to start - un-power the machine, dry it, let it dry, then after a long drying period you can try to power up with the charger.

If files are critical, consider removing the hard drive and getting it copied - a local repair shop should be able to do that, but it is several hours and so will cost. If it were mine, I would get adapters to run the laptop drive on my desktop - and I would put in into system as the second or third drive in order to make copy. Do not try to boot from it - and pray that the shorts you had while your laptop was wet did not mess up your files.

AC = charger connected to AC

Peroxide is a strong oxidizer, so some parts may be damaged, but difficult to say how to repair - so to start - un-power the machine, dry it, let it dry, then after a long drying period you can try to power up with the charger.

If files are critical, consider removing the hard drive and getting it copied - a local repair shop should be able to do that, but it is several hours and so will cost. If it were mine, I would get adapters to run the laptop drive on my desktop - and I would put in into system as the second or third drive in order to make copy. Do not try to boot from it - and pray that the shorts you had while your laptop was wet did not mess up your files.

The thing is that the first time I turned it on after dropping the cleaning fluid on it, the laptop was completely fine besides the keyboard not working. the mousepad worked fine and the screen and memory was unharmed. this lasted about 30-40 mins before it turned off and the keypad and keys did not work properly, like I said like someone was pushing down all the keys. But as far as I can see the screen and memory looks OK as it still has my cover photo on.
Sorry for all the stupid questions

If you had turned power off and dried thoroughly, you likely would not have a problem now. Continuing power while wet may have caused shorts and corrosion. You may need new keyboard or new connectors or a new motherboard,,etc. First turn off power, second mop things up, third let it dry 24-48 hours.

While you wait for drying to be complete, look up video on replacing a keyboard, cleaning interior, etc

Back