Clicking/Tapping sound from speakers and head phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

XOR

Ok so 3 days ago I decided that it was time for a fresh install of Vista so i pop in the installation disk and everything goes nice and smooth. I then precede to installing drivers chipset etc then i get to the sound driver so i head the the Asus site and grab both the official (not beta) drivers and about half way through the driver installation i start hearing a clicking/tapping sound kinda like clicking on a link in IE (shudders) so i reboot as requested by the installer and when it boots into windows it still making the same noise. I suspected the speakers were dyin on me so I plugged them into my laptop and they work fine I then decide to try head phones still the same noise. I reboot again and once i get into windows a message pops up saying "The sound driver failed to load....... you may have to reinstall the driver" or something like that.

At this point I'm fed up and decide to reinstall Vista again, but this time i use all the drivers from the cd that came with the mobo and the exact same thing happens.

System specs
Mobo: ASUS P5Q-E
CPU: Q6600 @3.4ghz (tried at stock settings as well)
RAM: 8gigs Corsair XMS2 (timings and voltages manually input into BIOS)
GPU: 2x Sapphire 4870 1GB in xfire
PSU: Corsair TX750
HD: 2x500GB in RAID 0

Also nothing has changed at all in my machine since i put it together, and i've never had this issue before.

Sorry for the poor grammar and punctuation.

I do have a SB Audigy but it also has issues with vista so I'm not gonna even try it.

Update: I got the sound drivers to install without getting "The soundmax driver failed to load" and i believe I've narrowed the problem down to the front panel audio, so ill try shielding the cable with some foil and some electrical tape.

Update XP to service pack 3 and apply all of the missing updates (critical and hardware) that you find

Sorry about that... tuff weekend ;) Did you load the Vista x64 driver and not the x32 driver?

Sorry about that... tuff weekend ;) Did you load the Vista x64 driver and not the x32 driver?
Don't worry it happens to all of us.
I did load the 64bit driver and that's exactly where the problem starts. Using Vistas generic driver none of this happens, but when i try the Asus driver from their website or the CD that came with my mobo or windows up date version, instant clicking sound coming from my speakers. Funny thing is this has never happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back