Clinging onto AGP for dear life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiedude

Hi all, really quick question:

I have a 6600gt AGP card and want to upgrade but don't want to change my entire system just yet so gotta stick with AGP (for now). What would be the best choice of AGP cards between £80 - £150?

Thanks in advance

you could get the same 7950GT for a bit cheaper from here, but they're out of stock at the mo :(

as far as i know the 7950 is about as good as it gets with agp for now, i doubt that they'll release any of the 8 series cards on agp

i have a BFG 6800GS which is pretty good, it's almost as good as a 6800GT because it comes overclocked. my friend has a 6600GT and from what i've seen my 6800 quite a bit better than it ;) it's a good card and it does me well :)

Cheers guys, I'll have a look at these.

Money to performance ratio is the 7950GT worth the extra cash?

Cinders said:
I believe the price/performance mark is set by the Radeon 1950Pro. If you want more power you should look at the Radeon X1950XT by GeCube if you can find it. If not and you really don't mind spending some extra cash, then the 7950GT ought to do.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/01/the_best_gaming_graphics_cards_for_the_money/page5.html

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=521950
Never used ATi cards, always had nVidia. Can't argue with the performance comparisons though. Think I'll be purchasing the 1950pro then.

Thanks for the advice.

cookiedude said:
Never used ATi cards, always had nVidia. Can't argue with the performance comparisons though. Think I'll be purchasing the 1950pro then.

Thanks for the advice.
Has anybody had experience with graphics cards by HIS?

HIS is a great company. That being said, I recommend this card. It gives performance equal to the 7950GT with a much lower pricetag.

The first model with the large fan should run more quiet than the second model with the stock fan. The larger fan will require that the PCI slot next to your AGP slot be empty, and the 1950Pro wil be an inch or two longer than you 6600GT.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend a 512MB model. It should improve your frame rates in newer more demanding games when compared to a 256MB model.

Thanks Cinders.

I think it will fit so I'm gonna go for the 1950XT. £119.99 seems like a really good price for that card, should keep me going for a while.

Well it does fit... but it doesn't work! I have an nForce 3 mobo (asrock AM2NF3-VSTA) and it turns out ATI AGP cards are not compatible with Vista when used in conjunction with nForce 3 and multi-core CPUs!!

Looks like I'll have to go back to an nVidia card! Is the 7800GS/7900GS any good? The 7950GT is a little bit too expensive!

Cheers guys, think I'll go for the 7900GS then if ebuyer allow me to swap the radeon, and they get more in stock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back