Clipboard not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the most used functions on a PC are copy and paste, or cut and paste. Well that's how it is for me anyway.

Ever since I reinstalled my Windows (i.e. Repair from the CD), this error kept happening. I cannot copy and paste anything (including text, files, pictures, ANYTHING). Even when I used the windows shortcuts Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V or Ctrl+X, It still fails to copy. Right Clicking functions also not working.

At times, when I copy something and try to paste, in the right-click context menu, the paste item is available, but when I click it, nothing happens.

Other times, when I copy something and paste, the "Paste" menu item is greyed out.

More Details:
  • Drag and drop WORKS, but at times I am in total need for Copy/Paste
  • I also have a program called TotalCopy, which copies files without using the Windows Explorer interface (it's an external program)
  • This problem is not always happening. I CAN sometimes copy/paste. Other times I CAN'T.
  • When I Can't copy or paste, I notice that when I log-out from windows and then log back in, the copy/paste actions work, but this can be very hassle-some and isn't really a solution, nevertheless it's still worth mentioning.

What's probably happening is another process is hogging the clipboard.

Try disabling the ClipBook service if you don't need it (most users don't).

If it's already disabled, or disabling it doesn't make a difference, grab this tool:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/temp/GetOpenClipboardWindow.zip

It should tell you what the problem process is. I'm betting it's something to do with Office, but I just like to blame things on Office these days. :)

I have found that the most common reason that 'Paste' is greyed out is because there actually is no Copy.

For instance, using Word 2002, if you want to paste into this, you must open Word BEFORE you 'copy' or you won't have anything to paste! I also find that using Wordpad is very convenient. I have a shortcut in my Quick Launch Toolbar.

Yet another choice if you have Windows XP is to use the Office for XP clipboard. This is found in Word> Edit> Office Clipboard. Using this, you can make up to 24 separate 'copies' to the clipboard, then paste all or some into Word.

@freemont
Thank you. the reason why I havent replied so early is because i was checking if the error has stopped. It has stopped thankfully. (as i said it sometimes stops and then works. but so far i havent got any problems)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back