TechSpot

Cloning (ghosting) of a harddrive

By 1cooldude
Sep 26, 2007
  1. I have an older ATA hdd (20 gigs) which has reached its capacity (376 MB of free space) and have purchased a new drive (250 gigs). I would like to make the new drive as my C drive and the old drive (20 gig) as a slave (strictly for backups). I've tried using Norton Ghost 12.0 to clone and it's failing in the very last bit of completion.."Norton Ghost couldn't copy all the files" I have tried playing with the settings, with the same outcome. Any ideas to resolve this?? thanks.

2. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 1,687

are you trying to copy all your files over to the new drive?

personally i would install windows on the new drive then copy my files over, then format the 2nd drive

i've upgraded to a new hard drive a couple of times now and that's how i've done it :)

3. 1cooldude

1cooldude TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks

will try that method. thank you for the reply.

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

try using acronis. Much better program.

5. garreg_ddu

garreg_ddu TS Member Posts: 19

There is a PC cloning tool available from Serif, which should be able to transfer all your installed software, 3rd party drivers and registry changes, including license keys etc., to a new HD or PC. Have a look at https://www.serif.co.uk/sop2/Default.asp

6. Char_X

Char_X TS Rookie Posts: 170

as for me...i don't like Ghost.
    I've been using Acronis True Image for a long time with no problem.

7. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 TS Rookie Posts: 498

hey there. Acronis is probably the best cloning program around. it costs about 42 USD if u buy it tho. doing it any other way is illegal and thus cannot be posted on this site lol....

Spyder_1386 :)

8. tob-tob

tob-tob TS Rookie

Acronis also has a free trial version. I prefer acronis too.

9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

There is a shareware version (that allows up to 7 clones). I know, I used it in Iraq because I had forgotten to bring my bought version over there.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.