Cloning HDD

shulong6

hi anyone know anything about apricorn unit for cloning .I have a pata hdd and i heard that when you hook it to the unit it will cover the pins on the cloning hdd power. the video i saw said i need to use a ribbon between the hdd and the apricorn unit i am lost and want to learn how to make this work or a better way

The ribbon cable is a IDE (PATA) data cable used to connect those devices to motherboards etc.

e.g. Your hard disk connects using the ribbon cable to your Apricorn (whatever that is. lol)

sorry i forgot to say this is a laptop that has a dock check out the photo on this site (www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type...id...)

ok looks like it is not that site as it is for cloning has anyone used this device or another i just need to clone my hdd with another larger one try this page

( http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?fam...ciGB&chid=ciGB&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=U118846)

hi anyone do you know anything about apricorn the unit for cloning .I have a pata hdd and i heard that when you hook it to the unit it will cover the pins on the cloning hdd power. the video i saw said i need to use a ribbon between the hdd and the apricorn unit i am lost and want to learn how to make this work or a better way. ok has anyone used this device or another i just need to clone my hdd with another larger one try this page this is what I am talking about as for the the unit that covers the power pins

( http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?fami...ci_sku=U118846

Your overcomplicating a simple process in my opinion.

Just get a copy of Acronis true image, or a freeware alternative, make an image of the old drive, and then transfer that image to your new hard drive, then jobs done.

so i use true image copy the hard drive info then do i hook a cable to the new hdd and go to the usb or just install new hdd and boot with true image what i copied that's where i am not sure about like the others have a in closure or dock

so i use true image copy the hard drive info then do i hook a cable to the new hdd and go to the usb or just install new hdd and boot with true image what i copied that's where i am not sure about like the others have a in closure or dock

It depends on whether you have a portable hard disk to get the image from or not.

If you have a suitable external hard drive:
1. Install Acronis True image (or Seagate/WD's versions if you have that HDD)
2. Create the complete disk image of your current drive and save it on your external drive.
3. Create the bootable image for Acronis.
4. Install new hard drive
5. Boot the computer using the Acronis Disk you created in step 3.
6. Direct the Acronis utility to restore the image you saved on your external drive.
7. Voila, you now have your new disk sorted and setup.

If you don't have a external drive.

1. Install Acronis True image (or Seagate/WD's versions if you have that HDD)
2. Create the complete disk image of your current drive and save it on your current drive. (save it in the C: directory to make finding it easier.
3. Create the bootable image for Acronis.
4. Install new hard drive
5. Boot to BIOS, and set your boot devices up as 1) CD/DVD 2) New hard drive 3) Network or anything else - Do NOT set up your old disk to boot!
6. Boot the computer using the Acronis Disk you created in step 3.
7. Direct the Acronis utility to restore the image you saved on your old hard drive.
8. Voila, you now have your new disk sorted and setup.
9. Format your old hard disk to prevent it from trying to load up your old OS. Or if you planned to just remove it, you can now do so.

can i use a imicro 2.5 ide hdd external enclosure for the new hdd to clone using true image then send the info to the external enclosure

If the new hard drive is the same as your enclosure then yes, you could do it that way around as well.

Back