Clueless about memtest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames82

i would like to run memtest, but i don't know what to click on to begin. here are the choices.

download
prebuilt & ISO?
source code?
pre compiled bootable ISO?
(.gz)?
(.zip)?
pre compiled bootable binary?
(.gz)?
(.zip)?
pre compiled EXE file for USB key (Pure DOS)?
pre compiled package for floppy (DOS-Win)?

my computer is a compaq presario with intel celeron CPU 2.53 GHz 248 MB of RAM. which do i click on? thanks, Ed James

If you have a floppy drive, download the pre compiled package for floppy (DOS-Win). Write the files to a formatted floppy disk. make sure you restart your computer with the floppy disk in the drive and memtest will run untill you stop it. You may need to set your boot priority in your bios to boot from floppy/cd-rom/hard drive.

If you don`t have a floppy drive, download the pre-built iso version. Unzip it once and burn the resulting file to cd as an image. Your burning software will tell you how to burn an image file.

Then, make sure your boot priority is set as above and with the cd in the drive reboot your computer. Memtest will runn automatically.

Regards Howard :)

howard,
i hope you're still with me. i have two icons on my desktop that are memtest. one has a zipper and one is a folder. how do i proceed from here? thanks again, Ed James

oh i forgot to mention that there's no floppy. just cd-r. thanks, Ed James

Which version of Memtest did you download?

Edit: you will need to download the pre-built iso version of Memtest.

To save any confusion, delete all previous versions of Memtest86+. Download this version HERE.

Right click on the zip file and choose extect here(do this once only). Burn the resulting file to cd as an image.

yes, it's 1.65. i wasn't sure which do download. it was prebuilt, zip, and the latest version. so i tried it.

i am going back and deleting.

it asks me to open or save. which do i choose?

i am right clicking on the icon on the desktop that has the zipper and choosing extract all. i will let you know. thanks.

now i have a pop-up window entitled memtest86+-1.65. it has a folder in the white area with the same name. on the desktop there is also a new folder with no zipper. how do i proceed?

i left clicked on the folder in the window, nothing happened. I right-clicked and chose send>e drive. i got a pop-up window confirm stream loss, the file has extra info attached that might be lost if you continue copying. tha contents of the file will not be affected. do you want to copy the file anyway? i chose yes. i haven't touched the icon on the desktop. i think that it copied to the cd.

I`m not sure what it is you`re saying.

However, I have now sent you the memtest86+ iso file via email. It doesn`t require any unzipping.

I`ve included instructions as well.

I hope this helps.

Provided the file has been burned correctly and your cd-rom is set as the first boot device, with the cd in your cd-rom, restart your computer. Memtest86+ should run automatically.

howard,
more bad news. my security settings won't allow me to open the attachment to the email you sent me. it's outlook express.
i appear to have the memtest on the disk, but it doesn't seem to run when i restart the computer. i have used other disks and they automatically run or i have to go my computer>e drive to use them.
if you have any other suggestions or advice i would be glad to hear from you. i'll keep an eye out until i head out for work in an hour and a half. i still found the whole experience fascinating regardless. i am very grateful for the help. Ed James

i tried, but it didn't work. i was unauthorized. this is a day that things are not working for me. i have never sent an instant message, and only burnt one cd in my life. so i qualify, if you want to call it that, as a newbie. it must be that you don't think that the memtest programme didn't burn properly on the disk. is it possible that a bad modem could be causing all of this? thanks again.

What burning software are you using?

I think it`s more likely your haven`t burned it as an image file, or you did something wrong when you extracted Memtest.

not only do i think you're right about that, but i hope you are. i will go over it again tomorrow. it's highly likely that i will try another disk. maybe it was a bad disk. i'll be back tomorrow hoping to run this memtest, and hopfully see that the memory in my computer is fine. thanks again and have a good night. Ed James

howard,
the info you requested.
from help: presario PC 182A-ABA CD ROM drive (E) manufacturer (Standard) model ASUS CRW-4832AS Driver cdrom.sys Thursday, June 24, 2004 Supported Memory RAM capacity 256MB
from control panel>system: xp home edition version 2002 service pack 2 Intel(R) celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz 248 MB of RAM.
from the sticker on the tower: presario SR1103WM Prod# PC182A

i have also spent a few hours going thru the control panel and my computer hoping to find anything that would explain why the computer is not reading the disk. in the meantime, it probably wouldn't hurt to try another disk. i will be keeping an eye out for you. thanks again, Ed James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back