TechSpot

CMD.exe not working

By Ardee
Nov 23, 2007
  1. I keep typing in CMD in Run, but it says it is being used by another program....Please help!!!!!

2. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Guru Posts: 363

3. Ardee

Ardee TS Rookie Topic Starter

I just used ProcXP, nothing seems to be using it, but I found different cmd.exe in my computer, that works. Thanks anyways!

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

There should be only one cmd.exe on your computer: the one in the system32 folder in the Windows directory. Anything else is malware. Also, that very same message about being in use is a sure indication of malware.

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

6. Ardee

It was in my i386 folder, I don't know what that is, but if it works, don't fix it, and thanks for the welcome, Howard!

7. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Assuming that the i386 is the Windows installation dir copied from a CD, that's OK too.

"I don't know what that is, but if it works, don't fix it" is a very irresponsible approach when it comes to malware. Even if you don't give a damn about being spied on, your computer could be used for illegal activities like cyber attacks, sending spam or hosting illegal content.

8. Ardee

Yeah, but I full scanned this thing on friday, and then I tried Run>CMD and it still won't work.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.