TechSpot

cmos battery holder

By ydnar001
Feb 4, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello, I am kinda new to computers anyways I was trying to reset my bios password by removing the battery and i broke the clip that holds the battery down any suggestions on how I can fix this.
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

What motherboard make and model is it?

Also, there is (free) software out there to reset/erase your BIOS-password. Just set up a Google search.
  3. ydnar001

ydnar001 TS Rookie Topic Starter

the board is a epox model number ep-58mvp3c-m the cmos battery is located under the video card. The holder has a single clip that held the battery in place.In the proccess of removing the battery I broke the clip, can the clip be soddered back in or any other suggestions.

Randy A
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Can't see on the picture of that mobo on Epox's website what it looks like. You may be able to solder that clip back on if you are good with a soldering iron. You will need to scratch the chromium off before you solder, but I doubt it will hold, let alone be strong enough to hold the battery in place. Instead, look around for a plastic battery-holder with wires, that you could solder to the mobo where the battery was. If hard to find, look for a cheap digital clock in e.g. a car-accessory shop, these run on the same type of battery. With a little DIY you should get it up and running again.
  5. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

a new battery holder will cost you about $2. Most electronics component suppliers sell them, If you can't solder, it will cost you about $30 to get a repair shop to fix it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.