TechSpot

CMOS battery low, help?

By Xecutor
Jan 4, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys,

My computer just started having this problem since Christmas. I've had this mobo since 2007, and this is the first time when I switch on the comp it gives me thsese messages randomly:

"CMOS battery low"
    "Error loading drive A"
    "Error boot sequence"
    "Press F2 to continue or F1 to enter setup"

I went into the BIOS and it is always set at factory default settings, even when I attempt to change them to the previous settings I had. It gives me a message that says that because the CMOS battery is low, my date and time and other BIOS settings will be reset to default, then gives me the error boot sequence msg, and still continues to load windows, and desktop is messed up a bit, but otherwise "normal" except for the sys tray that's missing icons...

I have never really encountered this situation before, but the solution seems straightforward: replace the CMOS battery, only that I don't know where to find it! I've tried tigerdirect.ca, newegg.ca and even a local computer store, but they don't have it on their website.

My mobo is an OEM (Lenovo 3000 J205-9686) ASUS M2A-VM with a 690G chipset & AM2 socket. What additional details do you need to know what CMOS battery I need to buy, and if possible, any websites I can go to in order to find it (preferrably Canadian due to shipping costs, but I don't mind US).

Also, my OS is win 7 RC (although that might not be relevant).

I really appreciate any help you can provide!!

2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

CMOS batteries are almost always CR 2032 basically a button battery taht is a available in most big box stores or electronic store. Take the side of the case off and see if you can locate [​IMG]

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

buy at at watch or jewelery store. Radio shack carries them. common battery.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.