TechSpot

CMOS Battery Or Something Worse ?

Active
By aarononline
Mar 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Yesterday I restarted my pc and got nothing but a black screen and noticed the mouse was not loading as well so there was no full boot.

I tried restart after restart and got the same effect so I tried to reset the CMOS (I believe that is what it is called) by taking a metal piece and touching it to 2 metal pins sticking out of my motherboard just above the battery.

At that time, it gave me this screen

[​IMG]

When I click F1 to "continue to boot" it loads right into Windows and everything works fine... unless I restart or shutdown the pc and then I have to do the entire process of shorting the 2 pins out again to get that screen and press F1 again.

I have run a virus scan which was clean, tried loading both fail-safe and optimized defaults in the BIOS and none of those made any changes.

Is this a simple case of the battery being on its last legs or something worse (and more expensive) ? Please help if you can as my wife and I use the pc for a vast variety of things in our home and simply find it an essential tool in both our lives.

Thank you very much in advance for any help given.

Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 mobo
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ BE
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    4Gb RAM

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.