CMOS checksum error/hanging at verifying DMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently my PC had been rebooting randomly (instantly powering off and starting back up). After a few days of this, today when it did that I rebooted in safe mode and started a scan with ad-aware and a few minutes later it powered down. When it powered back on, it had a CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded, followed by something about "if operations system on SATA drive check boot order." I hit F1 to continue and it got to the "verifying DMI data pool" screen and just hangs there indefinitely everytime I boot up.

edit: the exact error is:
"CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded
If your Operation system has install on SATA HDD already.
Please check SATA access mode and Hard Disk Boot Priority"

I did recently disconnect my floppy drive, but that was a couple weeks ago and it has been booted up many times without issues since then. I tried entering my BIOS and making sure everything was OK, and also resetting all to default. I also removed the CMOS battery for several minutes (with power cable unplugged) and then put it back in, but that didn't change anything. I plan on replacing the battery tomorrow, but I doubt that is the problem because the computer is only a couple years old and never had problems keeping time or what not. One thing to note is I only get the CMOS error after I enter the BIOS or when I removed the CMOS battery, other times there is no error but it still hangs at "verifying DMI data pool" indefinitely.

I have a Gak8n motherboard, x1900xt graphics card, run windows xp service pack 2 all updated, 2 sata drives in a RAID and another not, 2x512mb sticks of ram and 2x1gb, updated my BIOS about a month ago. I have made no recent hardware/software changes. Thanks for any ideas this is driving me crazy.

IF you pulled the cmos battery your Raid isn't set anymore in bios probably. You have to reconfigure it.

thanks CCT, I had already recofigured the RAID when I reset the CMOS the first time, but as I was about to reply saying that I decided i'd try it again. Took out the battery for 20 mins, went in and configured everything and this time it booted up fine. Maybe I did it wrong the first time who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back