cmos checksum error?

i restarted my computer today and all of a sudden i get this CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR and my system keeps restarting atuomaticly on startup, what do i do?

Reset your CMOS using your CMOS reset jumper located on your motherboard. If you are not familiar with what it is or where it is at, you should be able to find the information in your motherboard manual (if you still have it). If not, the manufacturer's website probably has an online manual.

If you have a store-bought PC, you can probably call tech support and ask them where it is or use their website as well.

Aside from clearing the CMOS, you may need to reseat or replace your system memory modules... a DIMM in your motherboard might even be bad... But usually resetting the CMOS fixes this problem.

Agreed, it shouldnt' be that hard to find, if you post back your motherboard model I'm sure someone here can help you find the page needed.

BTW :wave: :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave: :wave:
I hope you can stick around and help others with some of their problems. ;)

Well, if you guys would read the incredibly convenient system specs in profile, you'd see he has a Jetway SDR board. Model isn't known, but we know it's Socket A...Fairly new because it supports a 2000+...not much else, however...

Post back with the exact model.

It might be worth thinking about reseating your RAM and then even the CPU if this doesn't help.

If the machine is actually still working but comming up with this error then its probably begging for a good taking apart and being put back together again which can work wonders. Just make sure that you know what you are doing first.

Does your machine have a setting in the BIOS for "Reset configuration data"???? If so try allowing it to do so and rebooting....

Could also have a corrupted CMOS, or a failing CMOS battery - maybe you should try replacing the battery as they are cheap...

Try loading "optimal settings" in the BIOS if possible and saving with those settings....

If these don't help, try working your way through this:

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbsys/bios_Corrupted.htm

Most likely guess right now is that you need to replace the CMOS battery....

it turns out that my mobo had all the jumper settings set before thay gave me the mobo thay set all the values themselves and diddn't tell me about it so i tried to set the jumpers myself and thats what was cousing the error.

Thank you all for the help !

Indeed, a major problem like your CPU burning out is easy to fix, it's a no brainer, but little things like jumper settings are what bugs me :dead:

Back