CMOS on shuttle G5 8300

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonkey86

I was using my shuttle computer (G5 8300 XPC) and i decided to reboot, then suddenly when the shuttle screen came up, the computer started to reboot again, and again and again, so i decided to just shut it down.i dont want to format the computer because i have valuable data in my HD, is it possible that resetting the CMOS will solve this? if so can someone provide me with a location where i can find the CMOS or what it looks like?

I do not think resetting cmos will help at all. I can tell you if needbe, but I don't think you want more problems.

I agree with CrossFire851, i dont think that will help you. But here is the info:
To reset your bios you should have a look at the manual that came with your machine as it does vary. here's the standard sequence:
Usually you remove the power cord from the wall, take out the round cmos battery and find the 3 pins nearest the battery and move the jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3, wait a minute or two and then put everything back the way it was, move the jumper back to pins 1 and 2, put battery back in, power cord back in wall and turn on pc. Make sure you ground yourself before you do anything. Keep on hand on your metal case will do the grounding job for you. I use an electrostatic grounding wrist-strap device that you can buy at any computer store for $10.
If the manual for your machine is on cdrom then you can read it from another pc, or go to the mfgr website from another pc and get the bios re-set info there. It does vary.

Also, bad ram can cause your pc to keep rebooting. try removing one piece of ram and interchange them, see if your pc boots properly.
You can also try using f8 and boot to safe mode.

even when i try to boot in safe mode it will do the same thing, keep on rebooting for ever...I called the shuttle guys and they told me that by resetting the CMOS it should do it but i need more opinions, but he said it was just to press a little button he never said that i should open the case. lets say i push this button what could be the consequences? are there any other solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back