code 12 on dual graphic card update

Status
Not open for further replies.

The DR

Hi, I resently upgraded to dual pny 8600GT graphics card for my sli rig. was running geforce 6800s worked fine but newer and better games out. now for my problem, cannot get sli to work because of one card in device manager code 12 error. (not enough resourses available) Please help.

system info: Dell xps 600, pentium D 930, CPU 3.00 Ghz, 2.99 Ghz, 2.00 GB of RAM
MS xp media center edition version 2002, service pack 2
Main Board - Dell model oxh241, chipset NForce 4 sli intel edition rev A3
Memory - type - DDR2, size 2048 MBytes
Display Adapters - Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (PNY)

Uninstalled old 6800 drivers, Installed drivers that came with new card, (Note both cards came with their own cd discs, I only loaded one up. Same code 12 error, uninstalled those drivers and installed new drivers from Nvidia (version 6.14.11.6371 date 9/17/2007) same problem. Please Help if your able!!! Thank you very much for any time spent on this.
from ny, usa thank you for your time.

Your motherboard is your problem... Newer video cards require better motherboards and power supplies

Thanks Tmagic, I'm guessing that my mother board and power suppy are fine to run one of these cards, ( as it works great now, better than the two 6800's I had with sli). With this rig only a year old I would like to get my money out of it, (hard for me to believe mother board is obsolete already).
Thanks again for help, signed computer illiterate.
P.S. any other comments out there please post. IE: mother board to buy, power supply, cost of each one recommended.
I play alot of games America's Army (AA), Guild Wars, World in conflict.

I always distrust "store bought" computers, and their OEM motherboards. I am one of those who builds my own, and others' systems. The motherboards I use have much better bios options than the usual proprietary motherboard.

I never spend a lot of money on computer parts. It is unusual for me to go above $100 for any motherboard. I do admit that if I am going to play some of the newer games, I will have to get a higher-end video card. My Sapphire Radeon 9600XT was great in it's day

Thanks again for help, will try running above mentioned registry scans and post results later. God bless and take care.

Update : Ran registry scan from registry.fix (scan is free, $37.00 for fix program) found 848 registry errors, fixed them all then reran program zero errors found. still same problem, well, back to shopping for new mother board.

It really sounds like your system is infected with Viruses, Spyware and Malware of various nasties

Hi Tmagic, would this be the cause of my original problem or is it still the mother board? Please explain as basic as possible as I'm not very computer knowlegable. (as you probably already guessed lol) I currently use micro trend pc for virus, spyware and malware. Have found a couple threats in past 4 months, deleted and qurentined (sry spelling bad) rescan ok. Any recomendations on better protection and above?
Signed computer illiterate

Update: Through other forums (dell support) I have heard of people with same problem running Geforce 8800's in sli, end result was a conflict with sound card, If sound card was disabled then sli worked fine, but no sound, fix was to download Ao6 Bios and all worked including sound card. (after reinabling it) was wondering if any of you great tech guru's had any input on this. will this hurt my system? is it reverseable? also wondered if this would work for 8600 cards since there in the 8xxx seris. Thank You all for the education it has been very helpful. signed computer illiterate.

As long as everything is working, don't worry... Every Nvidia card I have installed in my costomer's computers has worked fine. I use Windows LiveOne Care for protection. I think that eventually, all decent protection will cost $$

8600 gts and DellXPS 600

I just want to say that I got two NVIDIA 8600 gts card working in SLI on my Dell 600 XPS.

The original problem was a Windows error 12 for the second card.

It was not easy but it seems to work great (although I had to give up my USB keyboard so I can access the BIOS without freezes)

The procedure:

1. Downgrade the BIOS to A06
2. Reset the BIOS to default settings (you will lose USB keyboard support in BIOS)
3. Install the second card
4. Now it can use the card... and it works in SLI
5. Game on.

Note: Hey Dell... it would be great to see a BIOS rev A12 which supports the 8600 cards and USB keyboards... please please please. You know you want to keep us happy so we upgrade to another XPS at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back