Code 12 Sound error! Urgent :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattjesty

Hi, i have recently installed vista on my computer, since then my sound card (Creative Soundblaster Live! 24bit) has stopped working properly "code 12". Yet it worked on xp. Here is code 12:

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

Currently i have tried the following to fix:
Turned off onboard sound. Check.
reinstalled, uninstalled upgraded etc.. for drivers. Check.
Reset my bios, then did all the things above again. Check.

Now im stuck. The drivers are working fine but i cant find out how to get more resources, microsoft hasn't been helpful so far. Please, if you have any suggestions post them here. I have been searching google for 2 days now and have got nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Please help.

iam not sure I ran by this error before XD. try removing any unnecessary devices u have in ur PC, even external devices, even if u have onboard VGA remove the offboard one then try it, please tell us what will happen, really odd problem.:haha:

u are aware that to use Vista u may need a complete new computer. an old computer that was well suited for XP in lots of cases will not run Vista. plus Vista will require more resources, more mem., and needs a faster processor.

Yes i understand that, i checked the specs and i have more than enough.

The cause of the sound problem recently came to me. I disabled my ATI X1600 512mb graphics card and the sound card started to work again. The only problem now is How do i get them working together?

Please help.

Bump..... :(

Uninstall the sound cards drivers. Shutdown the computer. Move the sound card to another PCI slot and restart the computer. Reinstall the sound card drivers

I have already moved the Sound card once, i shall try one more time and tell you if it works.

In the mean time Reffering to my first reply, i am not sure now if my graphics card is interferring, i disable it and the Yellow triangle with the ! has gone, but when i click on properties it says the drivers aren't installed, i installed it, restarted did the process again and the drivers wern't installed... Apparently!
Then i went onto the drivers section of the properties for the sound card, oh look, Driver version displayed...

The more i look into this problem the more complicated it feels.

Please keep putting idea's up.. I shall report back shortly on the sound card movering.

Hi, me again..

Moving the slots didn't work unfortunatley, but thanks for the ideas so far.

Keep them comming please :)

No :(

Althought i have been thinking more about what Nickc had put... If i bought some more ram could that help with the problem? I have 1.5ghz and vista needs 1ghz (minimum), Althought i don't want to spend money if its not Nessicary..

Just downloaded Windows Vista Upgrade adviser to test that ram theroy, here are the results:

CPU No action required Your computer's CPU is AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
System memory (RAM) No action required Your computer has 1.50 GB of RAM.
DVD drive No action required Your computer can read DVDs.
Video card No action required Your current video card will support the Windows Aero™
user experience.

Back to Square one >.<

There are reports that a new fresh install of Vista will cure problems like you have experienced

Hmm, ok, I shall try it out in the next 2-3 days and report what happens :)

Thanks for all your help so far. I hope this will work

Go into your bios, and set your AGP Apurture to the highest it lets you, that might fix it, but yes, upgrades of OS's usually dont work to good, fresh install is always the best option.

Ok, thanks for all your suggestions during my problem :)

The way i fixed it was by doing a fres install *thumbs up* Thanks :)

For other people who have this problem, i hope this forum has helped.

Good day and thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back