codecs for WMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedster

I installed Windows Media Player on an older system, but it won't play DVDs. I have installed several open source codecs but WMP doesn't seem to pick them up. How can I play DVD movies? I do not want to use a stand alone program like VLC player.

You need DVD-playing software installed on your computer; I believe it is more than just a codec. Often, such software will allow you to play DVDs in Windows Media Player. I use Intervideo WinDVD, but there may be some free DVD software out there. This comparison of media players may help you find what you need. Let us know what you find :)

VvWolverinevV said:
You need DVD-playing software installed on your computer; I believe it is more than just a codec. Often, such software will allow you to play DVDs in Windows Media Player. I use Intervideo WinDVD, but there may be some free DVD software out there. This comparison of media players may help you find what you need. Let us know what you find :)
I've tried interwin but I keep getting same error as windows media player. It says I need codecs. I installed VLC player which works, but I don't care for it. I'd rather use WMP or interwin.

thanks to kpo - I'll try those.

Can anyone confirm whether any of these codec packs play DVDs or whether you need DVD-playing software in addition?

I am using K-lite Mega Codec Pack with no problems with playins DVDs.
Also I can advise you another media player-Light Allow. I like it very much.

like I said, I tried it, it works, I don't care for it. It's awkward to use. I was able to use a copy of Nero I got in Iraq to work. I was allowed by customs to bring it back.

Ahh sorry.. seemed to have skimmed over that part. i know its your own preference but id try to get used to vlc.. it really is the best all round media player out there. The only other alternative i can think of is Ace mega codecs pack, which comes with media player classic, which also plays just about anything. good luck :) Kpo6969 mentions this above :)

Find it here.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ACE_Mega_CoDecS_Pack.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back