Cold Boot = BSOD (Windows XP SP2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjsn

Hello All,

This problem has been bugging me for over a week now. My test and checks can only occur during Cold Boots... thus the reason for it bugging me for over a week!

First, at every Cold Boot, I get a BSOD immediately.
30% chance at second boot BSOD.
50% chance of an application error (Win32, Explorer, Sound Mixer) and the remainder of the time I get into windows at a normal state.

What I've noticed...

Upon Cold Boot, I run MemTest and within seconds receive errors scrolling at a fast rate. I shut down and run MemTest again running for a long period the first time, and receive 0 errors for several minutes. (If I rush through this, my Cold Boot problem can occur several times, i.e., rebooting cycle...

Minidump files mostly display different causes. Ranging from - nv4_disp.dll, ntoskrnl.exe, and win32k.sys

The above files happen in order, mostly switching between nv4 and ntoskrnl then eventually just win32k.

History:

Took Windows XP 64 Bit off (wanted better performance with apps), and reinstalled 32 Bit. Problems began once using 32 Bit.

Reinstalled drivers for my Mobo/Vid... Didn't install any extras, like NV's Firewall, IDE SW...

Computer:

Windows XP SP2
AMD Atholon 4000+
2GB Ram
GA-K8N Pro-SLI (Bios vF7)
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT (Driver 93.71)

Theory:
MOBO isn't allotting the correct clocked voltage for Memory causing anything to load to memory crash... until the correct voltage is set (continous reboots or user lag after the first BSOD).

Thank you for taking your time to read my novel...

Steve

If you have memory corruption you can have all kinds of errors. Have you tried running memTest for each stick of RAM and in different slots?

MemTest must run for an extended period, at least 10 passes.

MemTest

The thing is, when I run MemTest at a Cold Boot state, I get massive errors, but after I let my computer run for a bit longer, like it has to "warm up"... I run MemTest again...

The second Test I run shows no errors... 10 minutes even for hours... It only shows errors on Cold Boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back