Colin Farrell, Paula Patton offered leading roles in World of Warcraft film

Shawn Knight

Staff member

world warcraft movie wow world of warcraft

Production on a screen adaptation of World of Warcraft is scheduled to get under way in January 2014. The film, directed by Duncan Jones and written by Charles Leavitt, is said to center on the conflict between the Alliance and the Horde with two Hollywood A-listers tipped for leading roles.

Atlas Entertainment and Legendary Pictures have reportedly offered a leading role in the film to Colin Farrell. The actor previously starred in Total Recall, Phone Booth and In Burges and is said to be a 50/50 shot on this role. Elsewhere, Paula Patton is rumored to be negotiating for a leading role as well.

The movie is expected to begin filming on January 13 with offices set up at Canadian Motion Picture Park in Vancouver, British Columbia. A first look at the film was shown at this year’s Comic-Con which included a nice mix of live action and computer-generated effects. The clip was said to take place in a desert field just outside of Hellfire and featured an armored human drinking a potion just before heading into battle.

World of Warcraft has been around since 2004 and continues to be the most popular subscription-based title in the world. The cash cow lost 1.3 million subscribers during the first quarter of the year but still retained 8.3 million paying players – good enough for a Guinness World Record. The game has enjoyed multiple expansions over the year including The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria.

Permalink to story.

And you go to the cinema and you pay $10 / £10 per twenty minutes of screen time. Or ya get the fudge out.
Popcorn and drinks may be purchasable from the online diablo 3 store. Reserve now.

A combination between Lord of the Rings story/characters and Avatar look and feel should make this movie great. Let's see if they bring something unique or special to it.

Another movie from a computer game, Wing Commander, Doom and so on all flopped as movies!

You can't even compare those with Warcraft which has quadrillion more times powerful Universe then all them put together, not to mention the fanbase. Yes most of the times games to movies were rather poor, but for IPs such as Warcraft or Mass Effect (heck I am sure there are others) it would work extremely well IF it is exectued well enough.

So far, I don't like Paula and Colin being chosen, there are many more actors which should get the movie spot.

With the right director and screenplay, it will be great of a movie (the Warcraft Cinematics from early 2000 are fantastic).

You can't even compare those with Warcraft which has quadrillion more times powerful Universe then all them put together, not to mention the fanbase. Yes most of the times games to movies were rather poor, but for IPs such as Warcraft or Mass Effect (heck I am sure there are others) it would work extremely well IF it is exectued well enough.
The thing with adapting a movie from a game is that you have to appease two often opposing groups. The game fan base who want the storyline and characters to adhere closely to that of the game, and the general movie going public- who generally want a more fleshed out conventional storyline based upon predictable clichés. Far more movie/game crossovers fail than succeed, because they are neither one nor the other trying to appease both groups and failing
So far, I don't like Paula and Colin being chosen, there are many more actors which should get the movie spot.
The actors are likely chosen to be well known enough to be a drawcard, yet low enough down the pecking order to not insist upon much (if any) creative control, not command a large A-list salary and may be open to a percentage of the domestic box office in lieu of up front cash since most movies fail to recoup their production/distribution cost.
With the right director and screenplay, it will be great of a movie (the Warcraft Cinematics from early 2000 are fantastic).
Duncan Jones is the director (Sam Raimi dropped out) , and Charles Leavitt is the screenwriter

Another movie from a computer game, Wing Commander, Doom and so on all flopped as movies!

maybe you have not seen any cinematic from blizzard games, the story might be average but the artwork and fight scene are something else.

I'd much rather see them make a StarCraft movie. It's been a while since there was a good sci-fi movie.

I'm pretty sure all of the gaming world has just one question:

"When will we be able to download the bootleg torrent?"

Don't worry about the choice of actors. There are plenty of great movies out there where the public reaction to the casting choice was negative and the movie turned out great.

WHY do they want to put real actors in this? Blizzards CGI is so impressive I would much rather watch a full length CGI film than have actors who look marginally like the characters we've come to know. It't like making a movie about Jesse Plemons (Todd from breaking bad) and using Matt Damon. You've already got the cast blizzard why pay someone to be them when you have the real thing?

I really hope they minimize the "WarCraft" part of the title. "WarCraft" is decidedly game-centric and makes little sense in a live action context. I hope the title is something like "Dawn of Azeroth: A WarCraft Tale" or some such.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/news/world-of-warcraft-movie-actor-wish-list/

Gamebreaker TV, Actor WISHLIST

Ron Pearlman as Thrall

The ultimate Mary Sue or Warcraft needs a strong actor who can work through latex. Ron Pearlman killed it in Hellboy and continues to be a tough guy in Sons of Anarchy. He would need to big and strong to be the shaman that saves Azeroth from Deathwing, but also sensitive enough to befriend humans and works towards diplomacy. Do you remember him on the TV series Beauty and the Beast?

Scarlett Johansson as Jaina Proudmoore

Jania Proudmoore started out being a lovesick daddy’s girl with a penchant for princes. She always had her head in a book and did what she thought was right for her people. After her city was nuked, the most powerful mage in Azeroth started dating dragons, hating orcs and setting her sights on revenge. Scarlett Johansson can go from nerd-girl to action hero in a heartbeat and would be perfect for this role.

Duane Johnson as Garrosh Hellscream

Sure he might be good as Thrall, but why not Garrosh? I hate to see The Rock as a bad guy, but if we go back to Nagrand and find the future warchief on his home turf, we might be able to get a taste of the good orc he could have been. Who am I kidding? The apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

Johnny Depp as Vol’Jin

Warchief Vo’Jin is a bit of a zaney character that could use someone with acting chops top to pull it off. Of course if we got our wish the troll would probably be portrayed a bit differently than we imagined. Johnny Depp as Hunter Thompson as Vol’Jin. It’s hard to picture the character with a cigarette holder, but it could work.

Tom Cruise as Varian Wrynn

Hear me out! Remember the Last Samurai? Bring THAT Tom Cruise into the Warcraft movie, tell him to channel a wolf and there you have it.

Benedict Cumberbatch as Lor’themar

Not now James, we’re busy. Wait, that idea makes sense! Khan would make a perfect Blood Elf leader! He’s skinny, has intense eyes and can portray the arrogance of the leader of the Belfs perfectly. Do you think Lor’themar is upset that he isn’t leading the Horde? What do you think Cumberbatch would do about it?

Chris Helmsworth as Arthas

Several people tweeted this to me and it isn’t much of a stretch, but I still like it. Not sure if Helmsworth would want to play another fantasy character, but this is his shot to break bad. Watching him slice through civilians at Stratholme, tear the soul out of the body of Sylvanas and raise the dead to take over Silvermoon might anyone rethink this golden boy.

Xun Zhou as Tyrande

I’ve long been a proponent of the idea of Night Elves being Korean. This gives us the perfect opportunity to get a renowned Asian actress into the Warcraft movie. Xun Zhou wowed us in Cloud Atlas, and she is so popular that her presence in the film would guarantee a large Chinese audience.

Michele Morrow as Sylvanas

It’s no secret the actress has been vying for this role for a while now, and I think casting an actual WoW player as the Banshee Queen is a great idea. The PvP fan has the archery, has the bod, and has the leather. This one is a vote for the home team.

Ian McKellen as Khadgar

I’m not sure if Khadgar is a likely addition to the Warcraft movie, but this is a great idea. He is Gandolf. He is Magneto. He could be Khadgar. Get over it.

"Yes most of the times games to movies were rather poor, but for IPs such as Warcraft or Mass Effect (heck I am sure there are others) it would work extremely well IF it is exectued well enough."

I'd bet any side of the fanbase (gamers and movie fans) could seriously argue that every game-to-film movie has been terrible in some essential way or the other. The only way to expect this one to actually be decent is to see it for yourself or look at reviews you trust once it actually comes out. Just because there is a bigger gamer fanbase for WoW than any other video game in existence absolutely does not mean this movie will actually be a GOOD MOVIE. I'd be willing to bet that it's going to be better than past game films but I still see NO reason to bet that it will actually be a decent MOVIE overall. CHANCES are you dont want to get your hopes to high.

Back