College Linux

By Zebbede
Mar 23, 2004
  1. Hello All. this is going to funny and probably quite humerous for a lot of you. I have never used Linux before, I have a copy of Mandrake 9.2 lieing around but i thought i'd start with CollegeLinux first just to get use to things.

Right My problems.

I have a Pionner DvD 106d DVD-R writer. This doesn't show up in linux anywhere but I did notice seeing /hdc/something or other and my DvDwriter in the boot sequence. How do i install this hardware.

My modem -giggles histerically- is a Intel Fax Data Modem. This doesn't seem to be anywhere around. I'm on dial up as u can see. How do i Install/Setup my modem (not sure if its a winmodem), and then configure a dial up connection?

Hope that keeps you busy i'm bound to have more to ask sooner or later and thanks in advance i hope -starts praying to the gods of Hertz- lol I'm not mad, My split personality is mad.
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

If your burner was detected during the install, it has been added to the fstab file ( file system table ).

Open a command prompt, switch to the root user , insert a data CD in the burner & type mount /mnt/cdrom or /mnt/cdrom1, whichever points to your burner & see if you can read the datat on the disk.

As for the modem, it depends on the distribution & I'm not very familiar with CollegeLinux. Is that modem internal or hooked up via an usb/serial port ?
  3. Zebbede

Zebbede TS Rookie Topic Starter

It is Internal.

Also the CDRW it is reading is coming up as a CDROM is that natural?

Samsung CDRW/ DVD-R Rom. (the CD-ROM it's reading)
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Try opening a command prompt & typing /sbin/lspci.

Does it show up there & as what ?
  5. Zebbede

01:07.0 communications controller: Ambient Technologies Inc HaM controllerless mo (rev02)

This seems to be my modem but i don't know what to do now?
  6. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

7. Zebbede

Do you know how i run a file it seems to want to open in Kwrite and not run though there seems to lots of coding in the file itself.
  8. MattG

MattG TS Rookie Posts: 140

You'll have to compile the code. Making sure you have a GCC compiler installed (normally installs during the installation of the OS) and see if there are files called Configure?

If so youll want to do this:

make install

To Check to see if linux sees your Burner as a writer send this command:

cdrecord -scanbus
  9. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

What file are you opening?

You should forget about doing any serious administration via GUI tools. Just open up a shell console and work your way through that.
  10. Zebbede

Umm i figured it out i was trying to open it whilst it was still compressed. Like i said in a later post i'm now running Mandrake 9.2 And it's detected it as a winmodem.

But i can't seem to either make drivers work or find drivers that do i keep on getting errrors when i'm installing them.
  11. MattG

MattG TS Rookie Posts: 140

Copy and paste the errors your getting, so we can help you troubleshoot them more.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.