College Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebbede

Hello All. this is going to funny and probably quite humerous for a lot of you. I have never used Linux before, I have a copy of Mandrake 9.2 lieing around but i thought i'd start with CollegeLinux first just to get use to things.

Right My problems.

I have a Pionner DvD 106d DVD-R writer. This doesn't show up in linux anywhere but I did notice seeing /hdc/something or other and my DvDwriter in the boot sequence. How do i install this hardware.

My modem -giggles histerically- is a Intel Fax Data Modem. This doesn't seem to be anywhere around. I'm on dial up as u can see. How do i Install/Setup my modem (not sure if its a winmodem), and then configure a dial up connection?

Hope that keeps you busy i'm bound to have more to ask sooner or later and thanks in advance i hope -starts praying to the gods of Hertz- lol I'm not mad, My split personality is mad.

If your burner was detected during the install, it has been added to the fstab file ( file system table ).

Open a command prompt, switch to the root user , insert a data CD in the burner & type mount /mnt/cdrom or /mnt/cdrom1, whichever points to your burner & see if you can read the datat on the disk.

As for the modem, it depends on the distribution & I'm not very familiar with CollegeLinux. Is that modem internal or hooked up via an usb/serial port ?

It is Internal.

Also the CDRW it is reading is coming up as a CDROM is that natural?

Samsung CDRW/ DVD-R Rom. (the CD-ROM it's reading)

Try opening a command prompt & typing /sbin/lspci.

Does it show up there & as what ?

01:07.0 communications controller: Ambient Technologies Inc HaM controllerless mo (rev02)

This seems to be my modem but i don't know what to do now?

Do you know how i run a file it seems to want to open in Kwrite and not run though there seems to lots of coding in the file itself.

You'll have to compile the code. Making sure you have a GCC compiler installed (normally installs during the installation of the OS) and see if there are files called Configure?

If so youll want to do this:

./configure
make
make install

To Check to see if linux sees your Burner as a writer send this command:

cdrecord -scanbus

Originally posted by Zebbede
Do you know how i run a file it seems to want to open in Kwrite and not run though there seems to lots of coding in the file itself.

What file are you opening?

You should forget about doing any serious administration via GUI tools. Just open up a shell console and work your way through that.

Umm i figured it out i was trying to open it whilst it was still compressed. Like i said in a later post i'm now running Mandrake 9.2 And it's detected it as a winmodem.

But i can't seem to either make drivers work or find drivers that do i keep on getting errrors when i'm installing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back