Com crashses when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, my com crashes when im playing games like WoW or Ground Control II.
I've tried updating (and rolling back) my drivers but to no avail.
When it crashed, BSOD said IRQL not less or equal and it said nv4_disp was having some sort of problems, it also said something about an infinite loop.
SOMETIMES it ONLY locks up. I can close it by using alt f4, but after that it says: World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3D acceleration. Please make sure Direct X 9.0c was installed and your video drivers are up to date.
Other games say similar things.
I'd then have to restart to get it to work again.
Does anyone have an idea whats going on?

(As shown in dxdiag)
Sys Info
WinXP Professional
AMD Athlon 64 3500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
1022 RAM
2468 MB Page file
Direct X 9.0c

Display Device
Name: MSI MS-StarForce Geforce 6600 (NVDIA Geforce 6600)
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: Geforce 6600
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Mem: 128MB
Display Mode: 1152 x 864 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Moniter: Phillips 107T

Drivers:
nv4_disp

There are some known problems with the nv4_disp driver. I have heard of one supposed solution but I can't remember where I saw it. Google nv4_disp and It should give you several possible solutions. You could also try some of the drivers at www.guru3d.com or www.laptopvideo2go.com. Hope this helps :)

I have the same problem with:

Dell Dimension DM 4600, Intel Pentium 4 CPU, NVidia GeForce FX 5200, Windows XP Home Edition.

I was on the phone with Dell Techs for three days (they were all in India so very hard to communicate effectively since I am not computer literate and they didn't seem to have a computer in front of them to follow along).

My machine would flash a black screen off and on in no particular pattern then go totally black when playing a video. In games, it would lag until it froze and I would have to turn my computer off. It seemed like the video card was getting overloaded or something.

Anyway, I deleted NVidia drivers, reloaded NVidia drivers, went back to earlier computer configurations, deleted XP Service Pack 2, reloaded Service Pack 2, etc., and nothing helped. The Dell Techs finally wanted me to wipe my machine and reload stuff. That seems really drastic, and I am not willing to do that yet.

Everything worked perfectly for a year on this machine until now.

I will try the Google search. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back