Combo Drive reads only DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

saif

I have an LG HL-DT-ST 4521B Combo Drive that reads DVDs and burns CDs. I had not used the drive for quite a while. Then, I tried to burn a CD, but when I click burn in nero, it asks me to insert a CD, even though one is already there. However, it reads all my DVDs. It does not read even new scratch less CDs no matter they are blank or full. Is there a solution to my problem?

Can you boot off a cd in that drive? If not its a hardware issue (since it works with dvds, I doubt its a cable issue) and the drive is dead or at least that part. If it does boot, you've got a software conflict in Windows, good luck.

That drive has two lasers. It lasts about a year. You can experience it working on some components and not on others, just as you describe.
Sometimes the belt on the bottom of the unit has slipped off... and can be replaced by removing the four screws and the cover plate.
But a replacement is available from Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club, Best Buy, and Circut City for $44 or so... and even cheaper online at www.directron.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.outpost.com and many others.

Thank you for your replies, but I had Ubuntu installed few months back, and I remember CDs not being read in it either, so it should be a hardware problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back