Comcast slapped with class-action lawsuit for turning customers' routers into public hotspots

Shawn Knight

Staff member

comcast lawsuit xfinity routers hotspots

Comcast’s controversial decision to transform its customers’ wireless routers into public Wi-Fi hotspots has, predictably, landed the company in even more hot water.

A pair of disgruntled customers recently filed a class-action lawsuit against the cable, television and Internet provider in San Francisco. Toyer Grear and Joycelyn Harris claim Comcast is exploiting them (and other Comcast subscribers) for profit by forcing customers’ residential routers to serve double-duty as public hotspots without their consent and at their expense.

On newer routers leased to customers by Comcast, the company has been adding a secondary Internet broadcast channel for hotspot use. This additional channel is said to be separate from customers’ primary connection. Those that provide their own hardware aren’t affected.

comcast lawsuit xfinity routers hotspots

According to the suit, a test performed by networking technology company Speedify found that routers activated as public hotspots consume 30 to 40 percent more electricity under heavy load.

Over time, Speedify believes this practice will eventually push tens of millions of dollars per month of the electricity bill needed to run the Comcast’s public Wi-Fi network onto consumers.

The two also believe that subjecting customers’ Internet connections to public use is a detriment to security. What’s more, they claim to be suffering from decreased, inadequate speeds on their home Wi-Fi networks ever since the second channel was activated.

The suit seeks an injunction to stop Comcast from using the routers in this way in addition to unspecified damages.

Permalink to story.

Finally. I can't even an option within the router menu to disable it. I was told calling down there was the only way to get it removed. Also having trouble forwarding my ports since I got it. I preferred my previous comcast modem with my own router compared to the hybrid one they send if it's going to cause those kinds of problems.

I hope they win the lawsuit against Comcast. I didn't like the idea from the start, even though you can opt out but that's something you have to know to disable. Where as John Doe not knowing anything about would be none the wiser that his router was being used as a hot spot.

Props to them catching the increased electric bill.

30% of the energy costs to run a router is a non issue. Yeah it adds up when you count by year over a million houses in the worst possible usage case but per person it's probably equal to me booting up my desktop. There are so many other issues with this that it should not even be a broght up. If they needed to power their own hotspots customers would foot a way larger bill anyway to pay for the hardware, instalation, and maintenance anyway. Buying any service is "footing the bill" of what they provide.

30% of the energy costs to run a router is a non issue. Yeah it adds up when you count by year over a million houses in the worst possible usage case but per person it's probably equal to me booting up my desktop. .
You must live with your parents and not pay any bills.
Dollars and cents add up quick.

Finally. I can't even an option within the router menu to disable it. I was told calling down there was the only way to get it removed. Also having trouble forwarding my ports since I got it. I preferred my previous comcast modem with my own router compared to the hybrid one they send if it's going to cause those kinds of problems.
This is why I don't have a landline with Comcast and use my own modem and router. It it just better and since the router is mine I can configure and set it up any way I want (I use Tomato on an Asus RT-N66). Much more control and none of that Comcast hotspot problem. I do have a landline but I get it through 1-Voip, unlimited calling and costs $21 a month which is cheaper than adding a Comcast landline to my account.

You must live with your parents and not pay any bills.
Dollars and cents add up quick.

I read the original article. Speedify themselves said that it was about 66 cents a month extra and that assumes it's being used constantly as a hot spot. I work part time for minimum wage as a student and I can cover that yearly cost in under two hours.

Comcast advertises "over one million hotspots" and even then the claim of how much cost they are forcing on customers is off by more than a factor of ten. And none of this changes how they would just charge everyone an extra dollar or two a month anyway if they rolled out special dedicated Hotspots. On top of all that you can turn it off online from your account according to arstechnica (or use your own probably vastly superior router). The issue is with how they handled doing it and the possible security flaws not the cost of having a lamp on.

Don't rent their cable modem or cable modem with wifi router as you see what they're doing. I had purchased the same D3 Ubee Cable Modem they were trying to get me to pay rent on theirs. At times now they're slick! Trying to tell me that the modem I have is not registered with their system! Oh yes it is!

So glad I live in a spot that allows me to be completely Comcast-free. Thanks to Condo Internet in down town Seattle, I was able to get 100 MB/s for same price as most pay for wretched 20 MB/s Comcast. I stream all my entertainment with Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc so no cable bill. Hopefully
Comcast keeps getting hit with suits like this to make them and Time Warner realize that they need to change their practices.

Back