comp hangs after xp install first restart

By danieldude
Nov 26, 2006
  1. hi
    while installing xp , on a p4 256 ram which worked fine the past 2 years,the setup is copying files , reboots, and restarts with the xp logo and moving blue cubes.
    then the comp hangs.
    memory tests and replace- ok
    hd- 3 differnt hd
    xp- 3 versions
    geforce agp card- ok

one weird thing - in bios , the current mode( hi \ defoult) is flashing.

thank you
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Well, you have ruled out the most obvious problems..

How about overheating? Update the system BIOS? Get a Linux LiveCD and see if you can make that run? (Try Knoppix)
  3. danieldude

danieldude TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

overheating is not the thing. if i have a faoulty bios, and there is no os , how can i re-flash the bios?
  4. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

easy. download the latest bios from the manufacturer's site (from another PC if you need to), stick it on a floppy/bootable CD and boot with it. The BIOS is a long way before it even touches the OS or any extended hardware like HDDs etc.
  5. danieldude

did you ever see a bios menu with the current state (hi preformance\ fail safe) flashing??

and thanks , ill try that
  6. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

it sounds like corruption in the bios. depending on the mobo you have their are remedies. as N3051M's already pointed out many mobo manufacturer's have bios's that can restore a corrupted bios by booting from a floppy. you just need to learn what procedure your particular board uses and download the right bios file from them.
  7. danieldude

ive downloaded the bios , extract it to a formated floppy( which was made bootable ms-dos) and when i restart it shows a lot of error msg...
  8. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Oh, you apply "the" solution when you see "an" error message duh! :rolleyes:

Please. What errors?!
  9. danieldude

dear nodsu, im sorry but there were so much errors, keyboard, a couple of things with "sys".... and generaly , the errors said that the bios im trying to load doesn ot fit, all though it is the right bios!!!

but . im not breaking my head bout it, there is a warrenty(if the mobo is damajed) if its not it, ill flash the stupid bios, if it likes it or not!!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.