TechSpot

Comp keep restarting randomly

By ribbs
Mar 23, 2005
Post New Reply
  1. Sup guys? Well I have a problem, my PC keeps restarting out of the blue. Like i'll be sitting here playing a game and boom, it just restarts. Or I could be sitting here listening to music and boom! it just restarts. Sometimes it doesn't actually restart, it acts as if it's in sleep mode, but doesn't want to wake up lol, the emergency shut down doesn't even work. It's like it has no power, but the fan is still running. Quite odd if you ask me. But I have been reading around to find out what it could be and it is still doing it.

I have cleaned out my fan and heatsink, which I really thought might have been the prob because it was caked with dust, but it is still doing it.

So someone please try to help me lol.

My PC specs are:
    P-3 866 mhz
    512mb ram
    Windows XP Pro SP1

Now I don't have any kind of virus scan, so I have been trying to do an internet based on, but it restarts before it gets the chance to finish.
    So im lost...help me!!!! ahhhhh lol

naw but thanks in advance.

Oh yea, and I did uncheck the thing under control panel, system, advanced and everything, but it is still doing it.

Maybe a virus? I dunno

~ribbs
  2. elfinster

elfinster TS Rookie Posts: 22

How hot is your computer running? If you don't know and it doesn't list it in the BIOS you can try MBM (MotherBoard Monitor).
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

MBM is a pig to get it to work. It is also no longer supported.
    Easier would be the free Everest Home Edition from www.lavalys.com

Also go get HijackThis from http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    -- Make sure you read TomCoyote's instructions on HJT !!
    -- Do NOT install HJT on your Desktop or in a Temp directory!
    -- HJT makes backups of everything it "fixes", so you can "undo" any wrong fixes!
    Then see How to post your Hijackthis log-files.
  4. ribbs

ribbs TS Rookie Topic Starter

thnx guys....but it was my power supply going bad. I put my old one back in and now it's running fine.

thnx
    ribbs

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.