Comp keeps showing blue screen after changing hd & ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

uapak

Alright, I have reformated my harddrive, changed my ram, even bought a new harddrive... but it doesnt seem to go away. When I got my new hard drive, i was installing windows on it, and in the middle of installation, it restarted by it self a lot of times, and also, sometimes showed the blue screen. If you guys have any clue, let me know.

You could disable the Automatically Restart option in the Startup And Recovery dialog box [System in Control Panel > Advanced tab > Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section], but doing so might lock your system into an unrecoverable error situation [or you can just turn off the power]….

Fortunately, Windows XP keeps a special log of all BSoD errors, called a Watchdog Event Log. Unlike a memory dump, whose creation is the result of a BSoD error, a Watchdog Event Log is a straight text file that is easier to read and understand.

Here’s how you access a Watchdog Event Log:

1) Use Windows Explorer to access the C:\Windows\LogFiles\Watchdog folder. 2) Locate and right-click the most recently dated .WDL file. 3) Select the Open command from the context menu. 4) In the Windows dialog box, choose the Select The Program From A List option and click OK. 5) When you see the Open With dialog box, select Notepad and click OK.”

This is ofcourse is if you can get the PC into windows. Also have you changed any hardware at all like the Video card or something else, its really handy if you can get the on stop error tho :eek:.

Yea.. i will try that.. thanks but anybodyknow wht wud cause the problem if the harddrive, ram , allt he drivers have been replaced?

Even tho a driver has been replaced/upgraded it may be a faulty bit of hardware just not software, comprende?

Can you give us your system specs: mobo, cpu, how much ram, how many cd/dvd, watts of power supply, video card etc.?
Also read my links below in my sig called BSOD and here.
My guess right now is bad ram or bad psu. (i know you said you replaced ram).......so maybe it's...........? anyone?, anyone?

That computer is a bit old, I bought it 2 years ago but here are the specs from what I can remember.

Athlon XP 2600 Processor
512 MB RAM (added 256 MB ram , switched it to see which one works better)
64 MB nvidia Graphics card
40 GB Harddrive (got a 160GB one , had the same problem so returned it)
16x DVD rom
42x CD/RW
56K Modem

im not sure how much power supply.. but from what I can guess.. 400 or someting.. dont count on that.
Everythign else is on board on a nvidia motherboard.(sound, ethernet)

It was interesting though, I was installing XP on the new harddrive, and before the Windows XP Setup started, the comp showed me the BSoD and it said CDFS error. I went into the BIOS and i disabled the cache, and it was working, even though it was terribly slowwww.. setup was taking double or tripple the itme it would take so when it resratred during the middle of the setup, I changed the cache back to enable, and the setup was not going through, after liek a certain amount of time, maybe like 5 minutes, the computer kept restarting. I never tried to turn it back to disabled and see if that worked because im not a patient guy! :cool:

SO if you guys have any ideas... let me know..

You can read your power supply specs off the label (take the side off the pc case). See the Label pic in my sig. (that shows 28Amps on the 12V output).
Also in the BSOD link there's a link to PSUCalculator, use that to determine your power needs.

Do you have on-board video? If so enable it in BIOS and remove the video card for now. Can you put a spare video card in for now, if no on-brd video?

Enter your Bios and scroll around to System Health. What's the temp of the cpu?

When you reformatted to reinstall windows did you do a full format? You need to do a complete format and wipe the MBR too. Delete all partions too.

Cheers.

When I was trying to format the Harddrive, it was new, so I was booting the system from the Windows XP cd. You know when you boot from the CD, you have that little blue setup that runs in teh beginning and it asks you how to format and how many partitions and stuff. Well, while it was loading the CD, it restarted by itself.

I will try to put a new video card in (its not onboard).. see how that goes.. and i wil also check the power supply too. I think that is okay but il make sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back