Comp powers up when power coed is plugged in BUT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsaken

Ok after searching through the forums for simmilar problems wich where simmilar i had to ask this ?? again when i plug in my power cord comp starts up on its own ok heres the kicker it beeps about 3 to 4 times and then does nothing more fans work cd drives work hard drive apears to work but it wont boot cant get into bios or anything, monitor wont even fire up.
I tried removing the little battery in side to reset the Cmos but that did nothin
either still get same results.

Comp is a gateway GT5428
Intel 3.2Ghz dual core
250 gig HD

it should still be under warranty if i could find the reciept but ive already removed the side cover wich gateway says voids the waranty if i could find the reciept i might be able to take it back to best buy. but alas i cant seem to find the damn thang

Yes thats the one gt5428

well the beeps you are hearing are beep code, they tell you whats wrong (in a sense). I cant find the "translation" on google anywhere so im thinking you'll have to take it in. did you have anything like a power failure before this happened?

we had a power failure yesterday but comp worked fine after that

cant find the reciept so i might be screwed

so no surge surpressor (or protector)

Or this is waht you mean by Powerstrip? srry lol

well chances are its a hardware issue, i've never seen a case where you got beep codes and it be a bad mobo. the powerstrip should have stopped any surge, yet it is still possible if its a cheapo it didnt in turn damaging you hardware.

i can hold in the power button and it will turn off after holding it in for like 10 15 sec's but when i hit the power button again to turn it back on it still does the same thing

i can even put a cd in the drive and it will spin like its trying to read it but nothing happens

but you still get the beeps, it could be your video... if we could get the beep translations they would tell us, but we can't so you wouldnt happen to have a spare PCI-E x16 lying around would you? or have a friend that will let you borrow one? I observed you computer has a free x16 lane, if you graphics on the mobo are bad then this will work but im not guaranteeing this is your problem, but this is the first step to troubleshoot. (i have to tell people this because they get all ancy about trying all these things lol)

EDIT** I found gateway beep codes, how many beeps do you get?

EDIT** (again) the ony 3-4 beep codes i see are bios checksum failures, which means the BIOS code itself is damaged

heres what i have so far (tell me what seems closest to what you hear)

1 long 2 short Video configuration failed OR parity error (memory)

1 long 3 short Base 64 KB memory failure (memory)

Okay i have you down for a 64k ram failure, this means in one of your Ram sticks (assuming you have 2x 512mb) the first 64k chip tests bad, if you have two sticks of ram pull one and turn on the computer. if you still get beeps firmly replace the ram you removed and remove th other stick, and power on again.

is it possible for both of them to go bad cause if iswap out the frist one for the second it does the same thang

hmmm... im stumped hold on

EDIT** sorry about the double post!!

last thing i can possibly think of is a blown capacitator in the PSU or on the mobo, but you didnt hear a pop or anything did you? if do the beeps could be the mobo saying theres not enough power (if a psu cap blew)

last thing i can possibly think of is a blown capacitator in the PSU or on the mobo, but you didnt hear a pop or anything did you? if do the beeps could be the mobo saying theres not enough power (if a psu cap blew)

if you had a floppy you could flash it. you would have to get the ROM from gateway's website, under support. Go Here for detailed bios flashing information. mind you this WILL MOST LIKELY void your warrenty if you have any left.

EDIT** Moderator (howard, whomever.) i know you are going to come through ane merge all my posts, i got lost when this thing went to two pages. srry i never post sloppy like this. i'm just tired.

yes this is also what i found, thats why i had you swap RAM around. I wouldnt quite reccomend going out and buying new ram beacause this may not be your problem, but it seems we both have found it is so you might have to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back