Comp wont boot with new RAM please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there I have a MSI MS-6507 Motherboard and I have 184pin 256mb PC1200 DDR SDRAM installed and I ordered this 1gb memory the other day this one here on this link:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?RAM-21/1GB

and i installed it and the comp wont boot let alone get to XP it stays in the black screen and the screen stays in standby so then i took it out and the comp works fine again with the previous ram,is this ram not compatible even though i was told it was or is there some kinda settings i need to allow or something? any help would be appreciated thanks,

It may not be compatible, or it could be defective.

Clear CMOS, try the other slot, add touch more Vdimm if you can, and set timings to 3-4-4-8. Try calling the memory manufacture support.

Main Memory

• Supports four memory banks using two 184-pin DDR DIMM.
• Supports up to 2GB PC2100/PC1600 DDR SDRAMs.
• Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM.
Your manual should tell you if that is 4 chips of 500 MB max or if it will accept 2 chips of 1G ea.....
my manual states 4 x 500 MB (Its all in the Bios)

Microstar Int. MS-6507-L Motherboard Memory
Maximum Memory 2GB
Memory Slots 2 (2 banks of 1)
non-removable base memory 0MB

So that would mean to me it can take 2X 1Gb and it can take DDR 266 PC2100, so I'd think either you didn't seat it correctly or it's defective. Oh one other thing you can only use the 1Gb RAM or the 256Mb, not both. you need to have equal size sticks (2 banks of 1).

Edit: Oops forgot this quote:
Chipset

• Intel® 845 Chipset
- Supports DDR SDRAM at 200/266MHz operation (DDR200/DDR266).

Yes, the mobo should work with that RAM. It could just have too tight of timings set, so a clear of the CMOS to set BIOS defaults may fix it--or just setting defaults in BIOS setup. The loosest is 3-4-4-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back