Comp wont boot with new RAM please help

By Markster87
Mar 16, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi there I have a MSI MS-6507 Motherboard and I have 184pin 256mb PC1200 DDR SDRAM installed and I ordered this 1gb memory the other day this one here on this link:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?RAM-21/1GB

and i installed it and the comp wont boot let alone get to XP it stays in the black screen and the screen stays in standby so then i took it out and the comp works fine again with the previous ram,is this ram not compatible even though i was told it was or is there some kinda settings i need to allow or something? any help would be appreciated thanks,
  2. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 841

It may not be compatible, or it could be defective.

Clear CMOS, try the other slot, add touch more Vdimm if you can, and set timings to 3-4-4-8. Try calling the memory manufacture support.
  3. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Newcomer, in training Posts: 130

Your manual should tell you if that is 4 chips of 500 MB max or if it will accept 2 chips of 1G ea.....
    my manual states 4 x 500 MB (Its all in the Bios)
  4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

i believe that motherboard takes PC133 memory only.

check the manual
  5. kirock

kirock Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,598

So that would mean to me it can take 2X 1Gb and it can take DDR 266 PC2100, so I'd think either you didn't seat it correctly or it's defective. Oh one other thing you can only use the 1Gb RAM or the 256Mb, not both. you need to have equal size sticks (2 banks of 1).

Edit: Oops forgot this quote:
  6. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 841

Yes, the mobo should work with that RAM. It could just have too tight of timings set, so a clear of the CMOS to set BIOS defaults may fix it--or just setting defaults in BIOS setup. The loosest is 3-4-4-8.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.