Company of Heroes 2 Tested, Benchmarked

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/689-company-of-heroes-2-performance/]https://www.techspot.com/review/689-company-of-heroes-2-performance/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

I hope no feelings get hurt here, but... complementing Steve's last sentence: the graphics quality observed don't appear to match the workload and the frames. Who's fault here? Graphics drivers, poorly optimized engine? Because really it looks a lot like World in Conflict, maybe sub-par and that game is not demandant for these cards, I don't think DX11 simply justifies it.

And on a side-note, just as Steve noted before: an eight-core Bulldozer OCed @4.5 GHz is below a quad-core/8 threads i7 Haswell @2.5 GHz in this benchmark as observed before in other games -not all, but is a repeated scenario. The odd behaving of the i7 frame caping means the system bandwidth limit was reached and couldn't give even 1 more frame? Cause 41 is pretty low for OCing it up to 4.5 GHz and having no difference from the 2.5 GHz test.

I hope no feelings get hurt here, but... complementing Steve's last sentence: the graphics quality observed don't appear to match the workload and the frames. Who's fault here? Graphics drivers, poorly optimized engine? Because really it looks a lot like World in Conflict, maybe sub-par and that game is not demandant for these cards, I don't think DX11 simply justifies it.

And on a side-note, just as Steve noted before: an eight-core Bulldozer OCed @4.5 GHz is below a quad-core/8 threads i7 Haswell @2.5 GHz in this benchmark as observed before in other games -not all, but is a repeated scenario. The odd behaving of the i7 frame caping means the system bandwidth limit was reached and couldn't give even 1 more frame? Cause 41 is pretty low for OCing it up to 4.5 GHz and having no difference from the 2.5 GHz test.
I believe that was the gpu being a limiting factor there. with medium details, the framerate hit 65. although, in both cases, I smell a horribly coded game, which is probably to blame.

Nnooo! My bro pre-ordered this for me from Christmas! I haven't had a chance to download and test it out yet but I've also purchased a 1440p screen, guess medium settings for me :( that sucks big time, to be fair the first one was a pig to run when it first came out and got a little better with a lot of patches and updates.

Maybe they'll do the same here?

Horribly optimized game...

Was just thinking the exact same thing. If even the Titan gets that low FPS, then it can't be the hardware setup thats killing the frames. For how the game looks I would expect the frames to be at least double the frames that they got in the test.

Seems like a badly optimized game when even the top end cards die at medium settings 1080/1200p. Hopefully new patches and drivers will bring more performance to the table. Seems like CPU is only the limit at medium settings.

Can someone please explain why this is - I've experienced lowest framerates always when I play RTS titles as opposed to any other type of game. Is this because of number of units on screen at a time or is there something else about RTS games that make them the most power hungry?

On my first computer, I played quake 3 at the highest settings - but age of empires 2 brought it to its knees
On my current two year old computer, skyrim is maxed out as is witcher 2 but shogun 2 makes it struggle at high settings ans resolution

What is it about RTS games really?

Interesting results... not sure if the results are comparable or not but guru3d got much better performance in this game (~48 fps max settings 1440p on a 780/Titan)

Well... this was really unexpected. even if they manage through a miracle to squeeze 10-20% more performance out of the GPU with better drivers from AMD and NVIDIA, they can't do anything about the CPU part unless they release a pretty big patch to the game that fixes the performance issues.

Can someone please explain why this is - I've experienced lowest framerates always when I play RTS titles as opposed to any other type of game. Is this because of number of units on screen at a time or is there something else about RTS games that make them the most power hungry?

On my first computer, I played quake 3 at the highest settings - but age of empires 2 brought it to its knees
On my current two year old computer, skyrim is maxed out as is witcher 2 but shogun 2 makes it struggle at high settings ans resolution

What is it about RTS games really?
RTS games have a lot of features that eat away at the CPU. they have a lot of computing to do along side the graphics part. The same happens when you use NVIDIA PHYSX on the CPU (non NVIDIA GPU).

Interesting results... not sure if the results are comparable or not but guru3d got much better performance in this game (~48 fps max settings 1440p on a 780/Titan)

Can you provide the link 'cause I don't find it in the recent posts of the corresponding sections, even got no results during the search.

The performance of this game in comparison to the actual quality of the graphics is abysmal to say the least. Do not waste your money, Or at least download a "demo" version to see for yourself.

Thank you thank you thank you for including the Phenom II 720/740 X3. Thats still a widely used budget gaming chip (and usually unlocks to be a decent Deneb). Too bad it got wrecked by this game, holy hell!
On the GPU side of things, wowza! My 670 got steamrolled.

Can you provide the link 'cause I don't find it in the recent posts of the corresponding sections, even got no results during the search.

I can't provide the link because it doesn't allow HTML, but they have CoH 2 in their new MSI GTX 780 Gaming review on the front page - you can see some results there. They said they have a performance review for the game forthcoming.

Wow these companies just release sloppy coded junk and say take it or leave it. I am going to leave it this time

What I find hilarious is that there are no excuses available. Sure, you could say that game developers run their test games on high-end hardware, then scale back. "Oops, we forgot to scale back!"

Only there is no SLI support and a Titan + i7 is the best you can get ....

I can't provide the link because it doesn't allow HTML, but they have CoH 2 in their new MSI GTX 780 Gaming review on the front page - you can see some results there. They said they have a performance review for the game forthcoming.

Well, I've been scratching my head for a while and the only test difference I can come up with is they used the 3960X @4.6 GHz vs 3.3 GHz here; driver versions here were a bit more recent on AMD and used more RAM [here], but watching the performance trend with the Haswell i7 I'm not sure what would happen with the 3960X when overclocking, apparently it can successfully eliminate the bottleneck when overclocking compared to the apparently limited i7 4770K. Anyway, we can't be sure of the hypothetical scenario, they clocked the same processor by 1.3 GHz more.

Also, the first graph [comparing medium, high, higher, max quality with 2 resolutions] matches the GTX 780 Palit Super Jetstream model with gives a little more than the standard model and wasn't used here either.

Honestly, reading the benchmark results it looks to me from what I at least gathered a couple of things:

1: The game will only utilize 4 cores max no matter how many are present (Being that the FX chip did so poorly and even the I7 3930k was above the 3960X) and has extreme bottlenecking issues present

2: Since it does not utilize SLI/CFX, that's going to mean besides apparently a heavily overclocked I7 4770k and a Titan, that game cannot be played very effectively at 1920x1200 (Well it gets around 65FPS, but still)

So to me, it looks like the most efficient price to performance system to play this game would be a I7 4770k and a HD 7970ghz edition (or a GTX 780, but that's almost twice the price of a HD 7970 for only a few frames difference). That really limits the user base and shows as people have mentioned above, an engine and game that does not utilize the hardware handed to it properly which is going to be tough on most people.

Was just thinking the exact same thing. If even the Titan gets that low FPS, then it can't be the hardware setup thats killing the frames. For how the game looks I would expect the frames to be at least double the frames that they got in the test.

Yeah, hopefully drivers can fix this, but probably not. Maybe after a few patches the FPS issues will be resolved. This same issue also occurred with the new Sim city.

Back