Company Usage Policy

I've been working for a software company for some years now. I've seen it grow and finally its maturing into a stable and profitable company. We've never had an official Company Usage Policy, although in the contract, there is mention to keep security in mind etc.

Up comes my manager one day and asks me to sign a new company usage policy. It covers a lot of topics from the use of email, not installing unlicensed stuff to closing the door after you leave.

I'm being asked to sign it, but i'm unsure what to do. Can they force us to sign it, or else terminate our contract? Are they breaking the work contract themselves if they fire us for not signing? I tend to think that we can refuse to sign it, and they can include it in our work contract upon renewal. However, I'm very open to a little discussion from you guys who probably have more experience than me in these things.

Most companies do this. Personally I see no issues with signing it. They own the computer you are working on, they own the email you are sending out etc. And at anytime they have the right to look and see what you are doing. I would think the answer is YES, they could terminate you for not signing. That means you are not committing to company policy. It's kinda like getting picked for a random drug test. If you refuse the test, you probably get terminated. So I say go ahead and sign it, what's the big deal?

Halo71 is on the mark! I've been in the industry 37 years and this is a common
issue.

remember the golden rule: He who has the money makes the rules.

The sole caveat might be if you are using YOUR laptop on their network;
lots of other issues there and frankly, that's poor management on their part
if they allow it.

Looks good! What about this thing saying that anything that's on your work PC is the company's property? Do they have the right to do that?

ABSOLUTELY! It's their equipment and you used their time to put it there.
If you're disinclined in this area, uninstall/delete what was 'thought to be yours'.

I've seen employees fired for downloading iTunes, games etc. Even bringing software from home and downloading on a company PC. No matter what is on that PC, be it their's, your's whatever. It is still ALL their property. Sounds like you may have some questionable material on your work PC and they may know about it. Hence making you sign the form. I think if I were you I would uninstall anything that may not need to be there before signing anything! :p

I've found it best to be frank with my manager;

hey this new policy is a good thing, but I've got some junk on my system and I want to comply, so I've been deleted everything that I've placed on the PC. You already have backups so it's known that this occured, but I want to be a team player and keep your trust -- I LIKE WORKING HERE :)
yea, it's a kiss up but your career is worth it (I hope).

Back