Compaq 8000T problems with both DVD drives...reading CD-Rs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! I am new to this forum. I am a college student with a major in Computer Sciences....yet I need some help!

I have a Compaq 8000T about 3 years old now.

It has had little work done to it. Upgraded to 1 Gig of RAM about 6 months ago.

I have a DVD-RW drive that I use to burn CDs and DVDs. Normally works great. I have a secondary drive, DVD player which also burns CDs.

I was burning several CDs Saturday without any problems. I tend to use Realplayer. I got to a point where my CDs were being read by the drive as being FULL already. they are not. I can take the same new CD-R and put it in another PC and it reads empty, like it should.

Both of my drives read the disk as full. If it was merely one, I would say the drive is bad. But both drives read it the same. I can burn DVDs without a problem. Properties state that both devices are in proper working order. No issues found in device manager. (Oh, Im running XP Professional...no recent upgrades.)

I considered a software issue; so I uninstalled and reinstalled Realplayer, no luck. I went back to a previous restore point, no effect. I even went as far to re-install windows. No viruses, no spyware, no other known issues.

I thought it could be either:
A bad IDE cable
A bad IDE socket
A failing Motherboard
One bad drive affecting the other, since their both on the same IDE cable

I havent changed anything within the PC since buying it. So I cant imagine it being a master/slave issue, etc.

Any suggestions? I need help!!

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back