#$%^ Compaq Computer troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

whtddusy516

Ok, once again im here to find some help on a friends computer, its a....

Compaq Presario

AMD Athlon Xp 3000+
512mb PC27000 DDR SDRAM Ram
160Gb Western Digital HD (previously sent in for repairs for alleged problem)
DVD+RW/CD-RW
CD-Rom

So, this computer runs fine, until you move the mouse (not sure if its while its running a certain program or what...just randomly) and then the computer beeps, and the LED's on the keyboard(num,caps,scroll) go ballistics for about 2 seconds, and then the computer just freezes.

This computer had recent problems from "viruses" because the two sons of this computer downloaded everything the saw, and clicked on every advertisment possible. This machine took about 10 minutes to get past the windows start up screen it was so bad. So they took it to Best Buy and had it looked at and they said the HD was corrupted...or"corrupted"....so our neighbors gave it back to us so we could set up all the programs that they had (since this was wiped back to factory settings). And it was running fine for about 20 minutes and then it just froze when we were transfering files, and of course after the beep.

My original instinct was motherboard problems...and possibly being overheated but the case is ice cold and i dont think thats a problem.

any suggestions? thanks

AJ

If you hard drive is corrupted then you will need a new hard drive. formatting it or restoring it to factory settings wont reapir it.

my bad, they replaced the HD with a new one since they couldnt just re install the OS since Compaq is all funky and crap and they have to have theyre system recovery built in

I just thought of something else, but before i get to that, I tried to run Memtest (Floppy and Boot disk) and neither worked, floppy ended up saying Non-System crap and The boot disk would seem like its starting up but would go to the windows screen :blackeye:

So i thought of something else, Our neighbors left there computer on day and night, idk how many times we told them not to do that but they still did. Now if they computer shut off during a thunderstorm and was shot, would it still start up? I'm beginging to think its a mobo problem since the mouse and keyboard are acting all wierd and stuff when the computer beeps, and i figured out its not freezing either. I kept Task Manager up to monitor how much memory and processor was being used. I don't think the processor charge got above 12% and the Memory above 145mb and it just stopped moving, but i was watching Task Manager contiunsly update

This one stumps me :mad:

Read the memtest instructions again and try running the test. How about trying a different mouse and keyboard??? Got any handy?

yea i tried that, but the problem still wasnt fixed and ill go read the instructions again..maybe nero messed it up with its wierd burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back