Compaq CQ56 101SA notebook cracked LCD internally

foxdelta

Hey Techspotters.

I recently acquired a new Compaq Presario CQ56-101SA notebook with a 2 year warranty. Problem is after two weeks the display appeared with vertical and horizontal white lines and in the top left hand corner a bright white and blue 'blobbed' image appeared and has gotten bigger from top left heading to bottom right. I immediately informed Compaq/HP who arranged to have my laptop collected and sent for repair under warranty. I subsequently received a call from HP Engineering Dept that the LCD screen had been cracked inside (there is no physical external damage) due to undue pressure or 'knock' to the screen and that it was deemed as accidental damage and not covered under warranty! Now I can categorically say that to my knowledge, nothing untoward has happened to this laptop (it is 2 weeks old!!). I open it and then I close it and it has had normal use for the 2 weeks that i have had it. HP wanted £199 to fix it or alternatively return it free of charge unfixed. No amount of persuasive talk from me would change her mind so I opted to have the notebook returned to me. Now I could fix this as a new LCD screen is relatively cheap to purchase (£50-£70 online) but I fear that if I do this, it will invalidate my 2 year warranty.

Has anyone else had any similar issues with Compaq and HP notebooks or have I just been extremely unlucky here and suffered a 'night gremlin notebook attack'.

I would very much appreciate advice on what my rights are or if anyone else has had similar with HP/Compaq.

Many thanks for taking the time to read/reply.

Regards.

I've had to install a new lcd screen in a toshiba about 3 years ago. I was very careful to not leave striped screws or scratched paint near any of the screw holes. a year later my hdd died and my laptop was still under warranty( extended which i purchased) and they installed a new hdd.

That was a few years ago and a different company. I'm not sure about other experiences, but in mine I believe since I didn't visibly damage anything they couldn't have known if I opened it or not at any time.

Thanks supersmashbrada,

I am of the opinion that I will replace the LCD screen myself; hell, I fix everybody elses so I am very well versed in this operation. I appreciate the advice on screws and scratches and will be very careful. The HP engineers have obviously had the bezel off anyways so any such scratches etc I will blame on them :)

Many thanks,

Back