TechSpot

Compaq Deskpro ep/sb won't detect second hard drive.

By stilesbrad
Dec 1, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a compaq deskpro ep/sb series pc running window ME w/a p650 processor. I recently bought a 20GB hard drive and cannot get my system to detect the tracks/sectors... info in the bios. The hard drive is listed, but the specs are not. There doesn't seem to be a way to change the settings in the bios manually. The current bios family is 686T2 which is dated 08-20-99. I have searched but can't find a newer version of this bios. Can anyone offer any ideas on what to try next?

2. sgamble2

sgamble2 TS Rookie

RE: Compaq Deskpro ep/sb won't detect second hard drive

Do you have one of the original Maxtor HDs that shipped with that system? If so it is a known bug that it won't detect the second HD. There is a HD firmware upgrade available to fix the problem. If you need further information let me know.

3. Link2009

Link2009 TS Rookie

I get the exact same problem on Windows Home Edition..It doesn't detect my Hard-Drive but on Pro (Which I HAD TO BUY) it works..I don't understand what's wrong with it...mine's a 120 GB HD

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.