Compaq f557us hard drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

elpibebz

first of all, srry if this doesnt go in this section :eek:

i've been having this issue since i bought this laptop. the total hard drive space is of 100gb. it has a section of it reserved for recovery files (drive D).
the thing is, when i open my computer (btw, running on vista), it says:

Local Disk ( C: ) 66.0 GB free of 86.9 GB

Presario RP ( D: ) 779 MB free of 6.17

that would add up to around 93 GB if they were completely free, thus im assuming the other 7 are taking up by the windows. thing is, if i go to remove programs, it says i have 3 GB worth of software in my pc, which would leave 69 GB free, and since i bought this pc, i've only seen up to 72 GB free. Not to mention that the free space gradually decreases, dont know why, maybe updates..

i know its not really a big deal since i only use it for school, but its the fact that something's wrong with it and i dont know why.

you laptop may be has a recovery partition. it's size can be up to 7 GB.
HDD manufacturers print decimal capacity of the HDD on the top cover label, however, windows XP measures binary capacity of your HDD :) thus, actual HDD size usually smaller than printed on the HDD top cover :)

the answer is that Hard Drive manufacturers take one Mb to be = 1000 Kb, while in computer language ( as computers see it) 1 Mb = 1024 Kb. That will account for your lost 7 Gbs of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back