Compaq laptop issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am unsure as to where else i could post this issue i am having.

I purchased a Compaq Presario 1500 3 years ago, and about a year ago, the laptop turned itself off mid-use and has not turned back on since.

I have tried a new power supply, the power supply gives off a high pitched Beeping (yes, from the power supply) when i plug it into the laptop. Lap top still does not turn on.

I would love to just donate this laptop to the local community college, for their class to repair, and be able to use, however, there are doccuments I would like to retrieve from the hard drive first.

My questions are:
Is there any idea as to why the laptop shut itself off?
Is there a way to easily troubleshoot and repair it myself?
Is there a way to put the hard drive into another computer and retrieve those doccuments?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Bethy

Edit added: The computers I have access to if the hard drive can be moved is a Dell laptop, and two home built machines.

The power supply beeping would suggest that there is a short somewhere inside the laptop, a dead battery perhaps? Have you tried running the thing without the battery pack?

Whether you can repair the thing yourself, depends on the exact fault and your electronics skills :)

Yes, there are adapters that let you connect notebook hard drives to normal IDE cables. Also, you can buy external hard drive enclosures that accept notebook drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back