Compaq nx9030 DVD writer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I have just had to change the hard drive and reload the software on a compaq laptop but after loading most of the software it just stopped reading cd's. It will happily read dvd's but doesn't want to know about cd's. The drive spins up and the head can be heard moving but thats as far as it gets, if you try to look at any files on the cd in "my computer" it thinks long and hard about it but eventually shows the disc as blank.
Does this mean I have a failed drive or is there anything that can be done about it?
If it has failed it will be the second one in 3 years.

Replace the CD drive... Consider yourself lucky if you get a years service from a CD/DVD drive. Do you or someone else smoke in the same room as this computer?

I thought you might say that somehow, shan't replace like with like as Compaq want about £170 for one. Maybe think about an external usb drive.

You can buy a replacement drive on eBay for $35 to $60. Most are similar and just need some hardware screwed on and off.
The drive has two lasers. One has burned out, or is out of alignment.

That's true Raybay,
I thought Hodsocks was using proprietary drives. Way too much cost! My NEC combo burner was $35 from Newegg 2 years ago and it's still burning strong. If an optical drive is in a dirty smokey invironment, it will fail sooner. I built a system for a friend 2 years ago. I have replaced the same NEC model 3 times. He's a chain smoker of cigars, cigarettes and pot. The computer is filthy.
Neither me or my wife smoke

Laptop drives are more expensive than desktop ones. Still he should be able to find a compaitable one for less than Compag charges. Just need to make sure it has the right dimensions and will work with the compaq.

Yeah, laptop CD/DVD combo writers are susceptible to higher temps than desktop models, but they should cost $125-$150 US

We have been unable to discover consistent reasons why optical drives fail, but suspect it is because they are too cheaply made. Though it is a mystery why they cannot be improved. Quality drives are inconsistently available by Plextor, Yamaha, Teac, Phillips and Pioneer. For the money, LG, Liteon and Samsung are good.
Bad ones, suprisingly, come from HP, ASUS, Sony, and NEC. Not such a suprise are the awful ones from HLDS, LaCie, Acer, BTC, Kangarou, and AOpen. Then there are the unbranded house brands.
We know from the drives of the late 90's and early 2000 that they can make a good drive. Why they do not must be the requirements of the resale market. They need more aftermarket devices to sell.

It all depends on the drive and hot it is configured. Dell Inspiron and Latitude Optical drives, and IBM Lenovo Thinkpad optical drives are very low priced.

Compaq Presariou, on the other hand are usually in the $75 to $95 range.

Some laptop optical drives will cost you $140 every time, and others for Sony VAIO and Apple Macintosh can cost you nearly $200.

There are very few differences in how they are built, but making them fit, and run, gets tricky for no good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back