Compaq Presario 1200-XL-110 Not powering up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I have a Compaq Presario 1200-XL-110 laptop which I am having a little trouble with. In that it will not power up at all, the battery is flat and won't charge. I have had the power supply tested and it delivers what it says on the bottom of the PSU adaptor, also the light on the front of the laptop to indicate that power is getting to the laptop is on, however the battery charging light dosen't work and I cannot boot up at all. Someone said that it might be the power converter board in the laptop, however I have bought a new one and replaced it and it still doesn't start. I hope that someone can help. Or if you have any other ideas then please let me know.

Nish

P.S.
I had a thought that it might be the battery because when it did work if the battery was out of the laptop then it wouldn't boot up either. Now I don't want to buy a battery unless I really need to.

Sorry to report this is a typical problem in that Presario. We have a stack of these mystery machines in the shop right now. Sometimes it is an inverter.
When the inverter goes bad, the screen is dead.
Other times, it is the system board. We don't know of a battery issue report, but it is theoretically possible. We assume the system should work without a battery if the power adapter is working.
One common problem is the power socket becomes loose or worn, but then that would prevent the LED's from turning green. Those little LED lights are indicative only of power being plugged in. The laptop seems to have the same or similar system board to the eMachines laptop which has system board failures.
In other cases, this Presario is simply too thin, and only has one cooling fan to move all that hot air out of the case. The other HP machines have multiple fans. When a laptop gets too hot, you don't know, and the heat kills it.

I could understand it if it shut down whilst I was working/using it but I've not actually used my laptop in about 2 yrs and the last time I had used it it seemed fine, in that it shut down ok with no probs. The reason I've not used it in such a long time is that I made myself a desktop machine. So I'm not sure why it's just stopped working!

there's a couple of problems with those machines.
sometimes the KBC may be dead
frequently the power board soldering becomes weak(this is most probably)
sometimes the northbridge's dead.

Sorry Lamo I don't understand what the KBC is that you mentioned and also is the power board the same as the battery converter board??

Nish

power board - is the same as the battery conberter board. EC/KBC - is the keyboard/ACPI/power controller. it's a complex chip which rules almost all low-level processes in notebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back