Compaq presario 586

Vernon L. Gratt

Hi guys,

My son just brought a computer home that he found a in the garbage in our apartment building. I'm just wondering if it belongs in the garbage. It's a compaq presario 586. It looks great,but is it? Please tell me what the heck this thing is.

Thanks

Maybe this is a dumb question

I recently came across a compaq presario 586 computer. I'd like to know how old it is and whether it belongs in the garbage where my son found it,

Thanks

Hold on! One man's garbage is another man's treasure!

If it still works, it could be a handy word processor for a student, etc. Generally speaking, I find that someone always wants old kit of some sort. Question is, do you have space for it before you find a home for it?

ripken204 said:
its only usefull for a word processor and internet, thats it

I dont think the internet is gonna work well on a 586 lol...whats it run at 110 Mhz?

But dont throw a PC away. You can always find a home for it. (my house has sort of become a orphange for old PCs.)

Sean

A 586 is a Pentium 1/MMX class CPU. At 233mmz it can do a very basic but perfectly functional workstation.

Like the others said, I would recommend that you keep it! You will certainly be able to give it to a student or donate it to a local charity. :) (We are all under the assumption that the system still works, of course.)

Yes of course.. The moment you plug a slow computer into the Internet the Internet will cease to function..

You can do lots of things with a 586. The question is whether you have the time, skills and will. If you don't want to mess with it yourself then just find someone who does and give the computer to them.

Nodsu said:
Yes of course.. The moment you plug a slow computer into the Internet the Internet will cease to function..

Ok you know what i ment. Obviously it could work, but is it practical and how much time is he willing to spendl (like you said)

Didou said:
A 586 is a Pentium 1/MMX class CPU. At 233mmz.

Thanks for setting me straight. I was just a couple of years old when these things were out :haha:

Sean

compaq, says you? i reccomend you take a decent tire-iron and that oem box of s*** out back. use said tool to beat that 586 until you can't tell what it was by looking at it. seriously. it belonged in the trash, you should make sure no one else has to deal with it.

PS > my advice was influenced a BIT by my enjoyment of smashing nonworking/oem hardware.

Back