Compaq presario won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

chips2481

I bought a presario 1500 that I had assumed had a problem with green lines that were on the lcd and external monitor. The lady who owned it had taken it apart and sold it to me that way. I bought it today and tested it when I got home. I powered it on and I saw that the fan will move slightly but won't start and the hard drive will start but shuts down after about 5-10 seconds. The power light always stays on but nothing else. I noticed when I unplug the hard drive and battery inverter board(see link) it will shut off the power light. Could that be the problem? I don't see how the motherboard could break when it was never used. Anyone have some advise?

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPAQ-PRESARIO...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

This looks like a power supply controller card issue. Also some systems will not run if the CPU fan is not working. You need the battery inverter board in place to power the system and light the light.

AlbertLionheart said:
This looks like a power supply controller card issue. Also some systems will not run if the CPU fan is not working. You need the battery inverter board in place to power the system and light the light.

Ok is the power suply controller on the motherboard? The only other card that connects to the motherboard is the inverter board. If the inverterboard turns on the lights is there something that could be wrong with it still? When I push the power button the fan will just jerk a little bit, does that indicate a broken fan? Thank you for your help, I would feel alot better knowing I can fix this to what I thought I paid 100 for easily.

Back to the beginning - the green lines indicate graphics card failure or possibly memory errors.
Fan not working could be broken fan or power controller failure.
Personally I would not waste any more time and money on this but if you want to get it to work I would take it to a repair shop. There is not much you can do with laptops unless you can carry out board level repairs.
Sorry.

yea that makes sense. I wish I did know how to do board repairs, do you need to go to school for that sort of thing or can you pick it up from reading a book or something?

Nope - not for the amateur - you need some serious skills in diagnosis, component matching, fine resoldering together with a decent workshop with all the right kit. Forget it and chuck the thing away before you spend any more money on it!

I still am going to repair it. I can probably still make a hundred if I just replace the motherboard and sell it for like 280. Can you learn that stuff on your own or would you have to go to school for electronics or something like that?

Not only do you need some serious training, but a workshops full of expensive equipment. I admire your enthusiasm but I would not waste it on this project - try something simpler.

I found what I needed. A tracker 2000 and a hot air thing that pulls the chips out. I guess the tracker 2000 is about 1,000 and the chip puller(which also puts new chips in) is 1500 to 2000.

AlbertLionheart said:
That assumes it is a removable chip that has failed.

You use the tracker 2000 to find the problem. It takes some know how about electronics. I think you use it like a voltage meter by finding a pattern or map in the board that goes thru the resistors and hunting for the chip or whatever that is bad.

Although some of the posts here might sound mean / rude, it was probably foolish of you to buy the parts disassembled like that from someone that was not trained in computer repair, and said that they had a problem in the first place.
If the motherboard has power to it, and it still doesn't turn on, it's pretty much toast. I wouldn't waist any money on it.
If you really wanna repair it, it'll probably cost you several 100 to take it to a repair shop and have them diagnose the problem, fix it, and a lot of repair shops will tell you right off "We don't fix problems like that on laptops." because of how complex it is.
I'd forget about it.

Tedster said:
not necessarily.

how the motherboard is the main thing that connects all the parts. Granted if you hear the fan kick on and off then you could have a display, hard drive or maybe ram problem. But like in my problem with the fan not working and it powering down after 10 seconds it would have to be the motherboard. Can you tell me a reason it wouldn't?

pyromaster114 said:
While there may be a way to fix it, the question is if it's going to be worth the cost of fixing it.

Well actually it can be even if it is a motherboard. On ebay you see motherboards for a presario 1500 with buy it now at 130-150. I got mine from a guy for 60. It isn't profesionally tested but it did power up to the compaq display. Thats enough proof that it works for me.:D

if everything else works on the laptop, then just go and crack open the laptop and replace the motherboard, taking note on what screws goes where. As you've said, replacement motherboards off ebay and such you can get cheap, and it is easier than going through the trouble of hunting and soldering for a specific part(s).

Fried a working motherboard with charger board.

I had bought a replacement motherboard and fried it right away. I plugged it in with out a monitor hooked up and the fan failed to kick on but the processor did get warm. Then I shut it off and plugged in the board where the battery and HD plug in to and the board had started smoking. A 8 prong rectagle chip at the bottom of the board had fried. If that board that connects the HD and battery was bad could that fry the motherboard. Here is an auction of the board if you don't know what I am talking about. I inspected it and there is no burnt chips or anything. Also, which I had made another thread just to see if this is the problem is that I had the board on a electrostatic bag. Would that conduct electricity and possible fry the board?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charger-board-for-Presario-1500-900-Evo-N115_W0QQitemZ270180329982QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3666QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

electrostatic bags do not conduct current. If this is the second motherboard that has failed (was the same chip fried on the old one?) then it has to be another component that caused the problem. Anything you connect to the motherboard could be the cause. Without diagnostic kit you are going to struggle to find what it is cheaply.

AlbertLionheart said:
electrostatic bags do not conduct current. If this is the second motherboard that has failed (was the same chip fried on the old one?) then it has to be another component that caused the problem. Anything you connect to the motherboard could be the cause. Without diagnostic kit you are going to struggle to find what it is cheaply.

No the same chip on the other board isn't fried. When I power on the laptop with the board that isn't fried it will power on and you will hear the hard drive run and then it will power off and the fan doesn't turn on. When I plugged in that charger board when I got the replacement board it made a spark at the connection where if plugs into the board and then that chip fried. I tried plugging it in after it smoked and plugged it in and the board made a beeping noise that got higher and higher then I shut it off. I noticed the intel chipset(not cpu) had gotten really hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back